Undergravel filters good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55 gallon tank, and my water was pretty dirty
I cleaned out about 70% of the water, the water is getting clearer, but my dad says its still too dirty and that he wants me to buy an under gravel filter
Are these good, or is another emperor filter better

I have a 55 gallon tank, and my water was pretty dirty
I cleaned out about 70% of the water, the water is getting clearer, but my dad says its still too dirty and that he wants me to buy an under gravel filter
Are these good, or is another emperor filter better
Don't get an under gravel filter. They are out dated models usually, they do tend to get clogged and break rather quickly. Research on them and reviews and you will undestand. Try getting another HOB or as you said an emperor filter.

Ok, I told this to my dad, but he insists he is tank expert, thanks, any more tips:)

Ok, I told this to my dad, but he insists he is tank expert, thanks, any more tips:)
My only tip is not to get an ugf haha. It gets clogged rather quickly and does a poor job at clearing water compared to other types of filtration in my personal experience. I wouldn't even use one for a tank that size.

Just out of curiosity but what do you mean by dirty? Are there lots of particles floating in the water or is it cloudy or tea-colored? How often do you do PWCs, gravel-vac, and clean your filters? Do you use polyfloss or something like purigen in your filter? Does your dirty water = bad water parameters when you test it? Hopefully we can keep your dad from spending extra money on an undergravel filter. :)

My only tip is not to get an ugf haha. It gets clogged rather quickly and does a poor job at clearing water compared to other types of filtration in my personal experience. I wouldn't even use one for a tank that size.

Hah, ok thanks:)

Just out of curiosity but what do you mean by dirty? Are there lots of particles floating in the water or is it cloudy or tea-colored? How often do you do PWCs, gravel-vac, and clean your filters? Do you use polyfloss or something like purigen in your filter? Does your dirty water = bad water parameters when you test it? Hopefully we can keep your dad from spending extra money on an undergravel filter. :)

Ok, I clean about 10 gallons off every three weeks(now I'm doing this weekly) and I just add water purifier, and thats it, the ten gallons come out by gravel vacuum, and I clean part of my glass only as I have plecos

Ok, I clean about 10 gallons off every three weeks(now I'm doing this weekly) and I just add water purifier, and thats it, the ten gallons come out by gravel vacuum, and I clean part of my glass only as I have plecos

You want to be doing 50% weekley and plecos have a huge bioload

Go ahead and do as your father says.I recently added four more 55 aquariums to my basement and I always always use Undergravel filters.There's nothing better than using them when growing live plants as the help draw nourishing nutrients thorugh and to the roots.You just need to make sure during water changes you deeply vaccuum the gravel.i've had my own tanks for over 40 years and have never had a problem using a U/G filter.

Back
Top Bottom