Using bottled bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin010382

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all.

I've recently bought a 33g tank to replace my 15g tank. With the tank came some nutrafin cycle. I wondered if this stuff really worked so did some research and thought I'd share my views/findings here.

Firstly I researched into what nutrafin claimed was in their product. They claimed it contained bacteria in a suspended state which would start to thrive once in the aquarium. I won't list them all but I looked into the several types of bacteria in the bottle and to my surprise I found that once the bacteria were starved of ammonia they do indeed enter a suspended state. It's worth mentioning at this point that the research paper I found on this subject noted that the original bacteria quickly dies off but at that point new bacteria would fill the gap.

I figured it wouldn't do any harm to try this product out so here's what I did.
I added new substrate, filter, heater, water and the plants from the old tank along with some new ones. My intention was to do "fish-in" cycling with six neons and a cory, test the water daily and preform a water change when needed. On day one my water results were as follows
Temp: 79
No2:0
No3:0
Ph:6.7 (a little low but my tank will contain amazon fish)
Gh:10
Ammonia:0
Over the next few days (adding the bacteria as the bottle said) I tested daily. On day three the ammonia reading was at 0.01mg/l so I preformed a 15% water change. Day four the ammonia was back at zero and the No3 reading was at 10mg/l. Day five and it read the same.
Does this mean the tank has been cycled (if that is the case then its new record) or am I to expect a second ammonia spike?

It's worth pointing out that this is a hobby for me and I am not an expert in the subject (7 years of fish keeping) I'd be interested in people's views on the subject.

I insta-cycled but used a filter to do so.

I am curious, though. Did your bottled bacteria have a "use by" date? Was it refrigerated? My understanding is that there is a time limit to the suspended state and that refrigeration improves longevity. Obviously, overheating during summer shipping or freezing during winter could easily destroy the population in transit so it's difficult to know if a bottle has been properly stored prior to purchase. For that reason, I'd hesitate to rely on it. But, your water tests suggest it worked for you.

It had a use by date of march 2014. It wasn't refrigerated and as the tank was on offer I'd assume it was sitting in a store room for a while but I figured I'd be doing no harm giving it a go.
I should mention at this point that if the fish started to get ill I could put them back in the old tank that's still running.

Back
Top Bottom