very cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
125g nitrate/nitrite 0 ammonia 0 Ph 6.2. Discus tank. The driftwood was presoaked. It wasn't staining the water in my sink that was soaking it in but after putting it in the tank I can't even see the back of the tank. Did a pwc and it looks no better. Wat can I do to fix this. There is no green algae so its not an algea bloom do maybe a bacterial bloom if so how can I fix it

mr.pro1987 said:
125g nitrate/nitrite 0 ammonia 0 Ph 6.2. Discus tank. The driftwood was presoaked. It wasn't staining the water in my sink that was soaking it in but after putting it in the tank I can't even see the back of the tank. Did a pwc and it looks no better. Wat can I do to fix this. There is no green algae so its not an algea bloom do maybe a bacterial bloom if so how can I fix it

How long has the tank been set up? Does the water look tea colored or milky? Do you know your water parameters (ammo, nitrItes, nitrAtes)?

A cycled tank typically has 0ppm ammonia/nitrIte and 5+ppm nitrAte. Based on your numbers, it seems to be uncycled, am I correct? Especially since you're asking about a bacteria bloom, which typically comes with initial tank setup. If that's true, I hope you don't have discus in it yet.

If the driftwood wasn't staining the water you were soaking it in, I'd say it would be odd that it would be what's clouding your water now. How long did you soak the driftwood?

James_in_MN said:
A cycled tank typically has 0ppm ammonia/nitrIte and 5+ppm nitrAte. Based on your numbers, it seems to be uncycled, am I correct? Especially since you're asking about a bacteria bloom, which typically comes with initial tank setup. If that's true, I hope you don't have discus in it yet.

If the driftwood wasn't staining the water you were soaking it in, I'd say it would be odd that it would be what's clouding your water now. How long did you soak the driftwood?

Yeah, I missed the 0 no3 level when i read it back (it's late here, lol). I agree that an uncycled tank is bad news in any situation...but with Discus it's almost an impossible situation. Did you cycle the tank before stocking?

I have the tank for six months. It was very clear before. I also started fert tabs in my substrate. So I'm not to sure wat is causing the cloudyness

mr.pro1987 said:
But yes its been cycled already awhile ago.

Have you made any major changes recently? Was it a fairly large number of rocks you removed? Replaced any filter media? I've had a mini-cycle when I replaced too many fake plants with real ones. The removal of the beneficial bacteria on the plants caused a bacterial bloom as it readjusted. Keep a very close eye on your ammo level...as it took 3-4 days after cloudiness showed up before the ammo started spiking.

Deff will do that. It was three huge rocks covered with algea. So hoe do I stop or counteract the bloom

mr.pro1987 said:
Deff will do that. It was three huge rocks covered with algea. So hoe do I stop or counteract the bloom

Just keep an eagle eye on the ammonia level. If it starts climbing you're gonna need to do daily water changes to keep the ammo level under .25 at all times. It only took 3 days and 3 50% water changes for my tank to adjust. Make sure you've got a big bottle of Seachem Prime to dechlorinate the water and help neutralize the ammo. I guarantee that's what's going on. I was shocked how sensitive my bio-filter was by just removing a handful of fake plants.

The nitrates/nitrites are spiking now. Will it be bad if I start doing two pwc a day till all this clears up? I'm worried for my discus

mr.pro1987 said:
The nitrates/nitrites are spiking now. Will it be bad if I start doing two pwc a day till all this clears up? I'm worried for my discus

What are the levels at right now? (ammo, no2 and no3). Pwc's are never a bad thing as long as you dechlorinate and match temps.

mr.pro1987 said:
I just have the cheep little test strips the nitrates are at 40ppm and the nitrite is at 3ppm

The test strips are notoriously inaccurate. I'd really suggest buying an API Freshwater Master Test Kit so you can closely monitor the levels. I'd have to assume if your nitrItes are that high the ammonia would be very elevated too.

If it was my tank I would do two back to back 50% water changes (remember to match temperatures and use a dechlorinator). When you can, run to the fish store (lfs) and purchase the test kit and a big bottle of Seachem Prime. The Prime will dechlorinate your water and also temporarily detoxifies the ammonia and nitrItes while still leaving them available for the beneficial bacteria to consume.

We've really got to get the no2 level down as low and as quickly as possible and I'd bet the ammonia is spiking too. I'm gonna go grab a link that will cover what it'll take to get through the mini cycle.

I'm draining the tank now. Mainly I don't want to stress my fish out by changing the water constantly. But headed to the store as well

mr.pro1987 said:
I'm draining the tank now. Mainly I don't want to stress my fish out by changing the water constantly. But headed to the store as well

I know it seems stressful for the fish when you change water...but they'll prefer it much more than having ammo/no2 poisoning. You're doing a good job so far :)

Back
Top Bottom