VERY High Nitrite but no fish death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

codyl1121

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been testing my Nitrites for the last few days as they were VERY high. Everything else is normal except for the nitrites. But, it's reading at the highest level of 5.0 PPM. It's been like this for about a week now, and I keep doing water changes. I was sad because I thought my fish were going to die of nitrite poisoning. But...none of my fish have died or even seem effected. I have 2 neons and 2 guppies so far in a 29 gallon. I was going to get more fish today cause it was my only off day. Is something "fishy?" hahahahahahahahahahahahah.......

Anyways....is there something I'm missing, doing wrong? Are my tests not accurate? I'm using the API master test kit.

That is high. Is this a fish in cycle? what are your other parameters? I really wouldnt get any more fish now. Death from ammonia/nitrite poisoning isnt necessarily instant.

It was a fish in cycle. But, it's been cycling for 3 weeks. I've had no fish deaths. Everything else is normal. PH is 7.0. No ammonia, nitrates.

Prior to having such high nitrites, did you have numbers for both ammonia and nitrites?

That is high. Did you use any bacterial starter?

As Lynda asked...did you have an ammonia spike. My fish in cycle with 4 guppies in a c. 29 gallon had nitrites for ages also and then 1 day short of 4 weeks they dropped rapidly. 3 weeks is not so long for a tank that is cycling...most people would appear to complete cycles from 4-8 weeks but there are no definite rules here :)

If this is the case with you, you have had ammonia, it would seem you are still cycling. If it was me I would keep on top of water changes, add no more fish and check parameters daily until you are happy that nitrites are being converted to nitrates and ou have completed our cycle.

I've just spotted your earlier post regarding high ammonia last week on the forum so clearly if this is for the same aquarium you are in the nitrite 'phase' of the cycle.

I was going to get more fish today cause it was my only off day.

You should definitely not get any more fish until this tank is cycled and, even then, add fish slowly, a few fish at a time to give your bb time to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom