Water Change questions. Is 50% weekly too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
75 gallon tank with a AC 110 and AC 70 filter... current stock is 20 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark, 1 blood parrot, 1 red severum and 10 false juli corys. All fish are still young. I am probably maxed at my limit as far as stocking, but i have a beautiful setup now... my question is, how much of a weekly water change is suffecient? Is 50% too much? or should I shoot for 25%? should I do more then once per week? im just wondering what most folks do..thank you..

With your stock while still small I would be doing 50% and gradually up it to 75% as they grow. For me I would test nitrates 24 hours after water change and again right before water change. Then figure what is needed to keep nitrates maxed at 30 preferably 20.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Water Changes

75 gallon tank with a AC 110 and AC 70 filter... current stock is 20 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark, 1 blood parrot, 1 red severum and 10 false juli corys. All fish are still young. I am probably maxed at my limit as far as stocking, but i have a beautiful setup now... my question is, how much of a weekly water change is suffecient? Is 50% too much? or should I shoot for 25%? should I do more then once per week? im just wondering what most folks do..thank you..

Hello yank...

If you were living in the same water you did your business in, how often and how much water would you want removed and replaced?

I change out roughly 60 percent of the water in my planted tanks every week.

B

In planted tanks we usually do 50% weekly.

Test your water to see what it's doing. Many fish breeders do massive water changes, so 50% won't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Never too much (but a lot of work!).

In a small tank I do about 60% each week. In a 150gal tank, I find 30 to 35% each week works well. That's with buckets out to the garden, a water python or similar would make life easier.

Back
Top Bottom