Water Hardness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gdeboeck

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A 55 US gallon tank with 8 Africans; 2 sharks; 2 catfish only one week old has nitrite 0.5-1.0 although a Nitro-Zero filter has been added 48 hours ago. How much time does it take to bring nitrite down?

Also carbon harness in this tank is 125 ppm and general hardness 215 ppm. Is that OK for the Africans?

In another 10 US gallon tank (well established) I have one Tiger Oscar, 4 inches. Plenty of rocks, no plants The carbon hardness is 7 dKH and 30 (?) dGH. Is this too high? What effect have the rocks?

Gdeboeck,

African cichlids like hard water. Your water is quite hard--215 ppm, or dGH of 12. This is excellent. Is your tap water naturally this hard? If so, excellent. You're in a perrfect GH condition. ACs generally like a hard, alkaline water with a dGH of 10-15 (some 10-20), and a pH between 7 and 9. 8 is a usual pH for these guys.

As far as I understand it, ACs also like a high carbonate hardness. Many rock sellers online sell "African Cichlid Rocks," limestones (Calcium Carbonate), which will increase pH, dGH and dKH. It looks like you have a moderately high dKH, 7 dKH or 125 ppm. This is fine, though some might say to raise it.

Rocks that are carbonates (i.e. limestone) will certainly increase parameters as I mentioned above. Most aquarium rocks are sold to be neutral, though, and probably won't affect your dGH and dKH too much.

You've gotta get your convention down, though. You seem to be confusing yourself by using both the German hardness system (dGH) and the parts-per-million system. Use one or the other...

Oh, and it's "carbonate" hardness, btw. Carbon is an element, carbonate is a molecule (anion) which includes carbon.

One question: what are your pHs on the two tanks? The cichlid tank should have a high pH around 8, but your oscar tank should be mildly acidic (pH of 6.5 or so). The oscar is a South American cichlid, and they generally like acidic water, though they can tolerate a pH of up to 8. Consider getting a piece of driftwood. Also, consider getting a larger tank soon. Oscars, when older, need a very large tank. If you keep them in a small tank, you will stunt their growth (but you probably know that).

Lastly, this like will give you an idea of GH, pH for ACs: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=831

Good luck.

get a bigger tank for that oscar now, 10 gallons is way too small for a 4" oscar, get atleast a 55gal but someing with a 18" width is better.

Back
Top Bottom