water temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbundy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi my temp is only goin up. its at 88 today and there is nothing i can do until next week when i get my ac. all my fish seem fine and normal. how bad is this? can they get harmed or its not really something to be worried about cuz i am :(

69g
2 clown loaches
1 red rainbow
1 boesmani rainbow
2 blue jacks
1 red torpedo barb
2 rosy barbs
1 silver molly

thanks

Those fish should be ok. Try blowing a fan across the top of the tank. You will need to leave the lid open. That should help to lower the temps a bit.

You can do a partial water change with cooler water and trickle the return water in as not to shock the fish. It'll mix in pretty well if your water is that warm.

At the very least, run an air pump, or lower you water level some if you have a HOB. Warmer water carries less oxygen.

How hot is your room? If your room is around 88 then blowing a fan on it will most likely not do much (except for the small amount of evaporative cooling, maybe a degree or two at very most). Most people recommend that for treatment of fungus (I think or maybe its bacteria) to raise the temperature to around 86-89. They say it doesn't hurt the fish (I guess it depends on the fish).

I would advise against anything drastic like changing the water with cooler water because unless you are there all day to continually refill the tank, eventually the temperature will go back up again. The constant repetative (although gradual) temperature fluctuations might be worse than the high temperature in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom