Weird Otto Behaviour: Sucking on Other Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it normal for ottos to "suck" on the side of other fish? One of my ottos has been chasing my cories around the tank trying to get on the side of the cories. When he does, he attaches himself to them and swims around on them, meanwhile the cories are racing around trying to get them off :confused:

They are definatly ottos and not CAEs, so why on earth are they doing this?

Hope this made sense.

Has anyone else experienced this? This has happened with previous ottos in a previous tank trying to get to danios and platies.

Thanks

It means they are starving. It will hurt the fish as it will strip off the slime coat. Have you tried feeding algae wafers?

From my research I also read that they are starving. However, my ottos are always grazing on algae as there is more than enough in my tank, they are fed zucchini and they will sometimes eat my cory cats algae wafers as well. They weird thing is though that they have only ever done this when I have fed the rest of the tank bloodworms. They almost seem to attempt to eat them and will chase the other fish around. Could this be to get bloodworms? I thought ottos wouldn't attempt to eat them?

Sorry I should have been more specific

Thanks

I dont know about that... Skip blood worms for a little while and see lol

CherryBarb123 said:
From my research I also read that they are starving. However, my ottos are always grazing on algae as there is more than enough in my tank, they are fed zucchini and they will sometimes eat my cory cats algae wafers as well. They weird thing is though that they have only ever done this when I have fed the rest of the tank bloodworms. They almost seem to attempt to eat them and will chase the other fish around. Could this be to get bloodworms? I thought ottos wouldn't attempt to eat them?

Sorry I should have been more specific

Thanks

Otos may just love the worms and are getting feisty about it. Mine will sample meat here and there. They go after Shrimp Pellets sometimes.

Sounds ok as long as your fish aren't hurt ;)

It is not ok as it can strip the slime coat off the fish.

I dont know if they are actually attaching then I would say there is danger.

my otto(had 3 friends,he killed them) does that to my shark,has plenty of food.think theyre just odd

alLexX said:
my otto(had 3 friends,he killed them) does that to my shark,has plenty of food.think theyre just odd

Are you sure yours is an Oto and not a CAE ??

My Otos, I've had many over the years, have NEVER harmed another fish. I was at a store and saw a CAE in the Oto tank and asked them to remove it ASAP. Maybe yours isn't a real Oto ??
CAEs are very aggressive as they age. The OPs sounds normal. Yours sounds weird.

I once had a CAE in a previous tank (I didn't realise) and he turned aggressive, sucking on the other fish. My ottos definatly don't seem to be doing it with any agression. They were pretty persistant until the bloodworms had gone. They haven't done it since.

I am so pleased they are all alive! I now have 6, and they are doing great (and not sucking on the other fish anymore). It must have just been the bloodworms :D

Are you sure yours is an Oto and not a CAE ??

My Otos, I've had many over the years, have NEVER harmed another fish. I was at a store and saw a CAE in the Oto tank and asked them to remove it ASAP. Maybe yours isn't a real Oto ??
CAEs are very aggressive as they age. The OPs sounds normal. Yours sounds weird.
yep,i had a CAE and this guy isnt one. hes also like 8 months old and a bit less than 2 inches long. by the time my cae was that old he was an easy 3.5-4

Back
Top Bottom