What are these

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kornchild

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was looking at my tank tonight, are these snail eggs?

snaileggs2.JPG

A bigger image
http://www.kornchild.com/images/snaileggs.JPG

They don't look like the eggs that my snail lay, doesn't mean they aren't snail eggs though. I can't really see that well in the photo. Are there little dots in the gel sacs that look a bit like tiny air bubbles?

Well, we can rule out the Mollies, as they're livebearers... It's unlikely to be the black neons, as characins seldom breed in an aquarium env. without environmental changes/triggers. BUT, danios are egg-scatterers (on the bottom, non-adhesive eggs).

What kind of snail do you have? They don't look like the eggs my Gold Inca Snail lays, and they're not the jelly-like masses that most snails lay...

***If it's the black neons: the eggs would be partially adhesive on leaves, but would hatch within 36 hours according to all the sites I've visited. http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile51.html is one of them

***It it's the danios: the eggs should hatch within 48 hours (sites have conflicting info).

***If it's the snails: the eggs will hatch within 4-6 days probably.

So, this is a conundrum. I'm guessing the black neons for now, though I know they seldom spawn in an aquarium. Keep an eye on the eggs! You may want to remove them to a separate tank, as they'll already be fertilized by now.

HTH, though I know it doesn't really!

I have a QT tank setup right now will moving them hurt them? Also wuld I move the entire plant to QT tank? Net the eggs? I have no experience with these

Definitely move the eggs out of the main tank.

Well, the best bet would be to take a small container (1 or 2 liters) and submerge it in the main tank. Move the plant into the container (with the eggs on it still), and then take the container out of the tank. All this time, the plant and eggs should stay submerged. Then simply lower the container into the QT tank, and take the plant out.

If you can, add an air hose to the QT tank. Eggs need a lot of oxygen (the embryo need to suck oxygenated water through the membrane of the egg, which is not easy). If you can anchor an air hose in the QT, many more of the eggs are likely to survive.

Do it soon, though. These eggs could hatch within the next day or 2.

Back
Top Bottom