What chemicals enter my tank when i feed my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I feed my fish what enters the tank?
Iv been told a small amount of phospate enters the tank so what else enters?
Thanks

Wow sorry, I just didn't fully understand this aspect of fish keeping

Didn't know I was being rude... I was being 100% sincere and serious. What chemicals are up adding to your tank when feeding....

I would say, the food your feeding the fish and the ingredients the food is made of.

How is that rude?

Don't be so quick to judge my friend....

Also if I offended the OP in anyway I apologize as it was not my intention.

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Didn't know I was being rude... I was being 100% sincere and serious. What chemicals are up adding to your tank when feeding....

I would say, the food your feeding the fish and the ingredients the food is made of.

How is that rude?

Don't be so quick to judge my friend....

Also if I offended the OP in anyway I apologize as it was not my intention.

No I would like to apologize you said "serious" and I thought you meant "is this a serious question?"
Sorry.

I realize my mistake.

Yes I guess that is simple logic thank you

I see how that could have been mistaken for that. lol ok so were both sorry :)

Honestly I'm not sure what other answer to give. I will look into it though...

You don't have to but if you do thank you.

Okay so from what I have gathered the ingredients of the food enter the tank
I was told phosphate enters the tank and also silica - I'm more interested in this as iv learnt this is a factor that encourages algae.

If I helps at all the reason why I would like to know this is because when I do water changes I'm obviously removing no3 but I'd like to know what els I'm removing e.g. phosphate, silica

Banana mouse said:
You don't have to but if you do thank you.

Okay so from what I have gathered the ingredients of the food enter the tank
I was told phosphate enters the tank and also silica - I'm more interested in this as iv learnt this is a factor that encourages algae.

If I helps at all the reason why I would like to know this is because when I do water changes I'm obviously removing no3 but I'd like to know what els I'm removing e.g. phosphate, silica

That's more to do with food that's not eaten. That when it decays will cause those readings. Phosphates shouldn't be an issue although I do test every once and a while.

Phosphates can cause algae issues and so can your lights being on too long or if the tank is near a window. If your just doing dealing with normal feeing and have good filtration and do your water changes and gravel vacs you will be fine.

bob mccoy said:
i apologise also i took it the same way

No problem. It's all good.

That's not eaten- ah that's good then I remove all the food that isn't eaten, yeah the lights are only on for 7 hourse and iv had no problem with algae. I think that's it really. Thank you for your help :)

Banana mouse said:
That's not eaten- ah that's good then I remove all the food that isn't eaten, yeah the lights are only on for 7 hourse and iv had no problem with algae. I think that's it really. Thank you for your help :)

Anytime

Some of the cheaper foods contain less than quality ingredients, however if you stick to company like New Life Spectrums range it's all the good stuff, better for your fish and your tank.

Back
Top Bottom