What do fishes think of us?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

curious_snail

Aquarium Advice Newbie
If fishes could think, what opinions do you believe they would have of us?

I was observing my tank and I noticed that some of my fish seem to watch me almost as much as I watch them. :popcorn: It got me wondering, what would fish think of us? What do you think? :fish2:

Some I think nothing other than there is the automatic feeder!

Others I think learn to trust us. I had a Betta had had some health problems and to feed him I would catch him in a cup and give him a ton of live food or frozen defrosted food and he would eat up and get stronger.

He got better a year and a half ago from the illness and he was fed more normally, and a couple weeks ago I was using a cup to remove some water for a pwc and he jumped into the cup [to get some yummy treats] as I began to lift it out!

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry and not enough time to defrost food and feed him like that and poured him back into the tank and he gave me the most insulted look!

He later had tumors and didn't move as well. He would let me move the pellets to in front of his mouth to eat. Not get scared or flinch, just wait for me to move his pellets.

Although I do not know exactly what they think, I know they/ some, can remember well.

Feed machine on 2 legs who now and then cleans their house?

If fishes could think, what opinions do you believe they would have of us?

I was observing my tank and I noticed that some of my fish seem to watch me almost as much as I watch them. :popcorn: It got me wondering, what would fish think of us? What do you think? :fish2:

Who knows, maybe we are the fish, just in a huge tank we call Earth.

There are definitely different levels of intellect going on in there. Some recognize I’m the deliverer of tasty nibbles 100%, others only sometimes and go bouncing off to hide.

I’d think my fish know I feed them but they still run from me because when fish “disappear” they see me removing them and are scared.

Imagine being so tiny and having this huge monster looming over your home. :hide:
But, they must have some level of intellect/understanding/recognition because they seem to know we provide the yummies and aren't going to eat them.

I love this post, and have often wondered the same thing. Most if not all of the fish in my community tank seem completely unaffected by my presence. They don't seem to recognize that my appearance near the tank in the evening means food, nor do they hide when I clean the tank. They just seem busy doing their own thing. The only exception would be when I do a water test - the danios are curious and seem determined to swim into those little test tubes!

Back
Top Bottom