What fish would be good company for a black ghost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
18 gallon tank kept at 80, lots of caves and some plants. UGF established parameters. Ph 7.5 . Water is mildly acidic.
capt "dutch" VanderDekken is 5inches nose to tip and has an arm where his left pectoral fin should be. Guess the fin got stripped off? So he may not be as agile as some knives.
And he eats everything, even slurped a few snails. he takes whitefish tidbits delicately from the end of a skewer, not fussy at all, smaller tank mates could be in peril.
I want some busy and colorful fish, not many unless they are many cheap small ones. My gourami male is too mean.

Oy... having a little bit of a hard time reading your cryptically-worded posts! :wink:

That tank is a bit small for the BGK. I recommend a 55+ gallon tank soon...

Other inhabitants that are appropriate for the BGK if you get a larger tank--firemouth cichlids (SA), larger tiger barbs... Hard to say, though, as BGKs are quite sensitive if larger fish abuse them...

Use your discretion, as most small fish will eventually be eaten!

Bigger tank should be your first priority. I assume you are talking about a black ghost knife fish. They are also mildy electric (not like an eel but the generate a bit) and that can really irratate some fish. Knifes eat anything that can fit in their mouth given half a chance and so any tank mates had better be fast and bigger. They also get pretty big.

I keep my black ghost in a 60 gal tank with nothing else other than some plants , rocks, and tubes for hiding.

Dutch

He(she?) will have his new tank approx 60 at the end of the summer, and he will be keeping company by then with the Betta and gourami fry culls (AKA "it was there yesterday...").

Heh, I know in my excitement, I sound like I want to plop something in tomorrow.....

I am mostly wondering about cleaning helpers and and a 3-4 non bite-sized peaceful fish. I'd rather there be nothing than have something bother him. He was traded for to be a culling machine. He will have a beautiful buffet of unnamed anabantids. And will stay looking the same cute look therefore the kids can't wait instead of "oh..nooo"

I am one who likes planning ahead. Getting fish for Christmas was quite a shock to my system! :roll: And I am not familiar with knifefish at all.

edit: Tank by person doing daughter's tanks. 16x44x24 Acrylic

Back
Top Bottom