What is all this crap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just stirred up my tank. What's all this shenanigans growing all over everything?

image-182548713.jpg

image-3269876741.jpg

image-980244860.jpg

Convict2161 said:
Looks like diatoms. Can you vacuum it up?

I'm doin it yeah. Could I be experiencing some kind of mini cycle? I have no nitrates and I had ammonia

The particles are just detris that has settled. It's in all tanks. But you do appear to have diatoms as Convict said. Have you always had diatoms since setting up the tank or is this something new.

Rivercats said:
The particles are just detris that has settled. It's in all tanks. But you do appear to have diatoms as Convict said. Have you always had diatoms since setting up the tank or is this something new.

I've had some algae issues before. But not regularly. It was on occasion. Maybe twice before

If your getting off and on again diatoms and are using tap water for WC's it "could" be that your tap water occassionally has more silicates in it. Diatoms have to have silicates.

Rivercats said:
If your getting off and on again diatoms and are using tap water for WC's it "could" be that your tap water occassionally has more silicates in it. Diatoms have to have silicates.

That would make sense. My filter is spitting out what looks like dust. So I cleaned out my media with old tank water. 2 weeks later it's doing it again. It's a fluval 405

I run 4 of these 406's on my 220 and when they do that you need to open the cansiter and remove the piece on the bottom of the lid that houses the propeller and really clean off/out that entire area along with wiping down the magnet/propeller, etc. I do this about every other month.

Rivercats said:
I run 4 of these 406's on my 220 and when they do that you need to open the cansiter and remove the piece on the bottom of the lid that houses the propeller and really clean off/out that entire area along with wiping down the magnet/propeller, etc. I do this about every other month.

Thanks! I will definitely be doing that. Because its been making my tank look dirty

Forgot to tell you but it can also come from a build up in the black hosing. You might have to replace or flush it really good if cleaning the top piece doesn't work.

Rivercats said:
Forgot to tell you but it can also come from a build up in the black hosing. You might have to replace or flush it really good if cleaning the top piece doesn't work.

Yeah. I haven't gotten around to it today. I'll take a look at it though. Should I use old tank water? Or is tap alright

Use tap or for the tubing a hose if it's not too cold where your at use a garden hose so you get a harder force of water spray.

Rivercats said:
Use tap or for the tubing a hose if it's not too cold where your at use a garden hose so you get a harder force of water spray.

I'm in Southern california so it's all good here

Honestly the thing that works great on that tubing is a power washer... that is if someone can hold onto it when you turn the washer on with the head in the tube... lol!

Rivercats said:
Honestly the thing that works great on that tubing is a power washer... that is if someone can hold onto it when you turn the washer on with the head in the tube... lol!

I have a high pressure nosel on my garden hose. I think that's gonna work.

Back
Top Bottom