What is this film from

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbjrc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gal tank that I had to redo little over a week ago. I cleaned everything and I have just been letting th filter run, no heater. On the surface of the water there is a film that has formed. I tried skimming it off the surface, and got most of it, but the next day it was back. What I'm wondering is where is it coming from sice there is nothing in the tank, I didnt treat the water, not putting any food in it. I dont even have the lights coming on, and there is no sunlight hitting the tank at all. I'm also wondering if there is anyway of preventing it. I plan on putting plants into the tank, but now I'm not sure if there is somethign wrong, so i cant do anything with it. Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

When you re-did the tank you stirred up bits of junk - dusty type junk if the tank was in dry storage and fishy junk if it was a redo of an active tank.

Even if you very carefully cleaned everything there will be stirred up stuff that is impossible to get, and I am certain it is not harmful, and it should go away after a while. You can lower the water level so the filter return splashes more, or if you have a canister adjust the spray bar so it disturbs the surface of the water and breaks up anything accumulating there.

There could be household dust or something in the environment that is settling on the surface, but additional surface agitation should take care of it. I would proceed with your plans! :D

If you have carbon in your filter and the filter or media was new, it could be nothing more than the dust from the carbon.

I lowered the water level so the water coming out of the filter falls about an inch or two, and gave it 2 days but the film still remains. Should I keep trying to skim it off? And if so whats the best way. Or should I just ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom