What is this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breezer40

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have seen a beautiful fish in our local pub and despite all the books I have and asking the people who work there no one can tell me what the fish is. I'm just hoping someone out there can come up with some ideas as to what it might be so as I can try to identify it (I want one sooo bad :roll:).

Ok here goes:

It quite big say 6 ins long and maybe 3-4ins high. Its body is thin . It has similar color markings to the clown loach only more stripes. This fish has scales. I assume it is a bottom dweller as its mouth points down..reminds me of a parrots mouth. If anyone had any ideas Please tell me.

Need a little more description. What is the body shape? You said thin, but thin like angelfish? Or shaped more like needlefish? How many fins? What shape tail? If Hypo's guess isn't it, the answers to those questions will help.

Its not that one hypo it is not wide enough..as for a more detailed description here goes:

The body shape is thin like an angel but long as well but not not like the needlefish. The caudal fin is the same shape as a danio only lots bigger and I think this is the same color as the body. Its dorsal fin is is not a flowy like the angle one but cant remember the shape other than that or the other fins. The most interesting part about this fish was its mouth. It looked just like a bird..more of a beak than a mouth. It was with other tropical fish such as harlequins, barbs, catfish, three spot gourami's. Could this be a marine fish that it ok in tropical tank? If no one has the answer then the next time we go to that pub I will borrow a camera but that might not be for a while.

I know its a shot in the dark trying to identify this fish with so little info but thanks for trying.

Fruitbat I love you!!! :oops: Its the Distichodus sexfasciatus and is the same as the one on the right!

I just knew someone would make sense of my ramblings :multi:

Thanks to everyone that replyed

Always a pleasure to be of assistance.

By the way....the fish could also be Distichodus lussoso which generally has a longer snout, especially as an adult. These are both beautiful, active fish but both get quite large as adults and will require an appropriately large aquarium. The intensity of their coloration tends to fade a bit as adults but even then they are still pretty fish. They are also plant nippers so don't think about putting them in a tank with expensive live plants.

Thanks again fruitbat for the info. I have been doing some research on this fish (now I know what it is called) and some of the articles state it can grow up to 30" so I may have to wait awaile till I get one but I am determined!

Many thanks again

I just got a Distichodus lussoso myself. A tiny 2" $39 fish, very colorful, but shy. Probably 'cause it's along & should be w/a shool of "friends".

Back
Top Bottom