What kinds of fish like taller tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindsayB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I'm Lindsay, and I'm new...

I just finished the nitrogen cycle in a 15 gal hexagonal tank. It is 20 inches high and 15 inches wide (tip to tip). I have always had longer tanks until now, and I was wondering if anyone knew what kinds of fish tolerated taller tanks? I want to keep zebra danios and mabye a molly or two...Please help! :D Thank you!

[center:40bba7480a] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, LindsayB! :n00b: [/center:40bba7480a]
Angels are the first that come to mind, but I believe your tank is too small. Danios like to swim and, JMHO, would like a longer tank.
Not to worry--I have the fish for you: Badis Badis. These little fish are wonderful and make full use of a taller, narrower tank. I have mine in a 10 gal hex--plus pygmy cory cats and a Rubber Lipped pleco. Actually, the pygmy cats make full use of the tank, too. Pygmies are more active swimmers than larger cories.
Couple articles on Badis:
http://aquaworld.netfirms.com/Other/Badis/Badis_badis_badis.htm
http://www.mn-aquarium.org/masart54.htm

Actually that tank would be fine for a single adult angel, and danios swim up,down, and all over the place so I'm sure they wouldn't mind. A Dwarf gourami or betta would also work

Any type of Labryinth fish would probably traverse the whole tank, since they need to go up and get a gulp of air every now and again.

The zebra danios I have love the 35 gal hex I have. They're all over the place zooming around. The only problem I have with them is that they're food hogs. They're much speedier than my other fish so they snag more food.

The Angel I have (granted it is a larger tank) seems happy. Although I used to have 2 and this angel would continually bully the other. In fact the other is in QT now. Even if the sick fish gets better I'm not sure I'll ever be able to put it back in the tank with the bully again. . . .

My 2 cory cats make full use of mine and are quite active. The platy and dwarf ghourami seem happy too. Although I suspect there isn't enough "hidey" holes to satisfy the ghourami since them seem to prefer swimming amongst the plants.

Well, I am going to get a cory cat (sterbi cory) and two badis badis. They're sooooo cute! Thanks for all of the great recommendations!

GREAT!!
Cory cats enjoy being in groups (3+)--if there's room, get a few. Take good care of your Badis--you will be rewarded by their cute personalities!

Menagerie, does this mean I should get one more cory? I've only got 2 in the 35 gal hex. (They seem happy and I wasn't sure if 3 adult corys would be appropriate for my size tank. We'll be getting a rubber-lipped pleco soon too. We're starting to get brown algae and the nitrites have finally dropped to zero.)

I would get another cory! There's room for another bottom feeder in a 35 gal hex, if you don't have other bottom dwellers (I see you don't). You may find that your pleco clings to the sides of the tank, or hides in the decor. I don't think one more cory and a pleco will be a problem.

Thanks!

I'm gonna wait at least one week more since my last pleco died due to a nitrite spike. The tank's only been stable for about 1 1/2 weeks and running for about 2 months total. I just bought a Freshwater Test Kit (the liquid kind) since that was recommended instead of the dip sticks I've been using.

Back
Top Bottom