What Size Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just took my betta out of here a few hours ago because my sister wanted him in her 8g tank so now I have this tank and I'm not sure exactly how to calculate it... The height Is 12.5" the length of the front is 12.5" and the back is 9.25" and the depth is 7.5".... It has a curve in the front as you see. I want to either get a new betta or shrimp or something else but I don't know the size. So if you could give me a formula, website, or actual gallonage that'd be great! Thanks!!!

When I do this, I multiply the numbers together in google and have it convert for me.

Example:

36*18*17 in^3 in gallons

give:

36 * 18 * (17 (in^3)) = 47.6883117 US gallons

You could take a known container, like a quart milk jug and then start adding water to it till it fills up, then you'll know how much it holds. That's what I do with small tanks, plus it gives actual water volume since substrate and decor displaces a good portion of water.

aqua_chem said:
When I do this, I multiply the numbers together in google and have it convert for me.

Example:

36*18*17 in^3 in gallons

give:

36 * 18 * (17 (in^3)) = 47.6883117 US gallons

Yeah but it has a curve and a trapezoid kinda look to it... That's why I'm so confused!!! It looks to be around a 5 gallon but I have no clue! I'm almost about to take everything out and see how many gallons it takes to fill it up;)

jetajockey said:
You could take a known container, like a quart milk jug and then start adding water to it till it fills up, then you'll know how much it holds.

I think that I'll do this. Thanks jeta!

AquaKai said:
Yeah but it has a curve and a trapezoid kinda look to it... That's why I'm so confused!!! It looks to be around a 5 gallon but I have no clue! I'm almost about to take everything out and see how many gallons it takes to fill it up;)

There are geometric techniques for trapazoids as well. And we thought we would never use 8th grade geometery!

aqua_chem said:
There are geometric techniques for trapazoids as well. And we thought we would never use 8th grade geometery!

Haha! I'm still learning stuff that I won't probably use... Grr honors pre-calc!!!
But I did both test just to make sure everything. For the math equation I got the total being 4.435g and 4.456g. A little off but I also got slightly different measurements when I did it. I only did the filling one once, and got the total around 2.5 actually a bit more. I did it with a regular measuring cup that read 4c and did that... Well you can do the math on that one. I found out that I have yet another 2.5g!!! So now for nano (my version is under 5g) tanks I have x1 1.5g and x2 2.5g!!! More shrimp...:D considering I don't know any fish that could live in there!

AquaKai said:
Haha! I'm still learning stuff that I won't probably use... Grr honors pre-calc!!!
But I did both test just to make sure everything. For the math equation I got the total being 4.435g and 4.456g. A little off but I also got slightly different measurements when I did it. I only did the filling one once, and got the total around 2.5 actually a bit more. I did it with a regular measuring cup that read 4c and did that... Well you can do the math on that one. I found out that I have yet another 2.5g!!! So now for nano (my version is under 5g) tanks I have x1 1.5g and x2 2.5g!!! More shrimp...:D considering I don't know any fish that could live in there!

It is a little on the small size. Have you maybe thought about an African dwarf frog? ;-)

AquaKai said:

Here's one of mine she's doing pretty well now!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110921_010038.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110921_010038.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 75
Russ_gibbo1985 said:
It is a little on the small size. Have you maybe thought about an African dwarf frog? ;-)

Yeah I've thought some on it and did some research and I'd rather have a 10g or so to have one... But awesome pic btw!!!

Ralphie126 said:
My sister has that tank.... It's 2 gallons

Really? I got it filled with 42-43 cups of water which is about 2.5 gallons.... Maybe I did something wrong?!? I don't know!

Back
Top Bottom