Where to buy tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishkillah

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the market for a new tank, probably something like a 55 gallon. I was wondering where the best prices on new tanks and stands were. Also what is a good price? Walmart has a 55 gallon kit for 130 or so (seems like a lot), but i dont really need a kit, just a tank and hood.
Thanks

:D Happy Holidays and Welcome to AquariumAdvice! :D

Spent a lot of time doing the same sort of pondering, so I have a few suggestions/comments. Sorry if many of them are commonsensical.

The kits often get you in trouble for 2 reasons I can think of: 1) because they tend to include a filter which the store wants to sell, but which isn't the best for your tank and 2) because they often limit the degree to which you can change your tank around (e.g. they give you a full hood when two glass lids and a light would be far more versatile if you wanted to changing lighting, change to a planted or reef tank).

That said, $130 for a tank, hood, filter etc. (stand?) is not a bad deal! I paid $90 for my 55 tank and metal stand (cruddy), and that was considered by many a good deal.

****The short answer about buying tanks is that there is no secret best place to buy them.**** They and stands are about the only things in the hobby that you can't get much cheaper online or at specialty stores. They're expensive to ship to stores, and would be expensive (and fragile)to ship to you. So, when considering tanks, just look for the best deal at your local establishments and get it. Nobody, not even Ebay (usually local pick-ups only on tanks that large; I had a bad experience...), www.bigalsonline.com, and www.drsfostersmith.com can save you on that one.

IME, it's best to get a simple tank and stand and then build up the components yourself:

-If you're considering a 55, you're pretty serious. Do yourself a favor and buy a good filter. Fluval canisters are a good bet (lowest price on a Fluval 304 at www.bigalsonline.com: $65; Fluval 404: $85) as are the Penguin/Emperor line of Marineland bio-wheel filters (Penguin 330 at bigals for $24; Emperor for $40). If you know bio-wheels, you'll know that they're an excellent way to increase your biological filtration.

-Then get a 48" strip light and two 24" glass tops (you need two because of the plastic bar in the middle of the tank's upper rim).

-Get a good quality 200W heater such as a Tronic or an Ebo-Jager. Don't be sucked in by cheaper models, as they can misregulate temperature and burn your fish, even with a heater guard.

Well, those are my many cents. Sorry if you knew most of it already. I wouldn't go with the package deal, and I'd look for individual parts if I were in your shoes. Hope this helps.

Jon

For that size, I wouldn't go with a kit either, for the reasons already mentioned. Our LFS, where we pay the rent every month, matches prices on quite a bit of equipment. We found a 55 tank and hood at our PetsMart for $99, and he had no hesitation about matching the price. Since he carries the filters and heaters (or will order) we like, he knew he'd get the add ons too.

I would definitely consider buying a used setup, or at least a used tank and hood. I have gotten incredible deals this way. The most recent one was a tank, stand and glass top that you would swear was new, and I saw the ad in my local Bargain Trader type paper available at most convenience stores. I was able to get the lighting and filter I wanted on my own (Big Als rocks!). $130 for a 55 gank and stand is indeed a good deal, so I would not turn my nose up at that, either. Be sure it has not been mishandled, and inquire about their return policy before you purchase, in case there are leaks that become evident when you fill it. Walmart stock personnel might be less than careful when unloading fish tanks off of the pallet that they arrive on, but no offense to Walmart stock employees! :D

This fall when it was time to bring in my goldfish from the small pond, I was lucky in finding a 90 gal used tank in a local 'trader paper' I only wish I could have afforded more of this person's tanks --he had some beautiful setups

reason for selling was that they were moving to an apartment while the new house was being built.

Hi and welcome.

I generally buy used... usually the seller throws in all of their fish junk that they have been accumulating, and you can get some cool items for cheap.

8)

I dont know where you are located, but I just got a hood and tank combo at Pet Supermarket. 29 gal w fluorescent hood for $49. Lots of holiday specials I guess. They had Combo specials on all the tanks up to 90 gals. I guess they make up the difference on the accessories because these were much higher than all the other stores I shopped. Good
Luck

Back
Top Bottom