Where to get blue gene cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Where can I get one? Are they compatible with electric yellow lab or blood parrot with platys?

There is a morph of the electric yellow that's blue but mbuna really don't belong in a ten gallon aquarium. I also wouldn't put it with your yellow lab since they'll hybridize, if you're keeping the fish for yourself that might be Ok. Usually most stores won't take hybrids. This is a very controversial topic though so I'd make sure you do you're research before you decide to crossbreed cichlids.

If you're just looking for a blue cichlid some choices are johanis, quite a few types of zebras (once again avoid mixing types), and aceis. Unfortunately none of these fish can be kept with platies or blood parrots so if you do decide to get some of these fish the only tank that might work is you're 55. Once again you can never do too much research when keeping fish so be sure that you know the requirements of any fish before you buy it.

Maxkolbe said:
There is a morph of the electric yellow that's blue but mbuna really don't belong in a ten gallon aquarium. I also wouldn't put it with your yellow lab since they'll hybridize, if you're keeping the fish for yourself that might be Ok. Usually most stores won't take hybrids. This is a very controversial topic though so I'd make sure you do you're research before you decide to crossbreed cichlids.

If you're just looking for a blue cichlid some choices are johanis, quite a few types of zebras (once again avoid mixing types), and aceis. Unfortunately none of these fish can be kept with platies or blood parrots so if you do decide to get some of these fish the only tank that might work is you're 55. Once again you can never do too much research when keeping fish so be sure that you know the requirements of any fish before you buy it.

Great thanks. I will research more about them.

I have a feeling you might be talking about blue gene jack dempsey or electric blue jack dempsey. Blue gene dempsey is a tough fish, but EBJD stock you find is typically weak and won't make it to adult size. Either should be compatible with BP (single JD, NOT pairs), provided tank size is large enough, and I wouldn't keep either with yellow labs. I wouldn't keep BP with yellow labs either.

If I were you I'd put the two BPs in the 55. They will eventually outgrow a ten gallon aquarium and I don't think that they will do well with platies once they reach their adult size.

Maxkolbe said:
If I were you I'd put the two BPs in the 55. They will eventually outgrow a ten gallon aquarium and I don't think that they will do well with platies once they reach their adult size.

Fishie, you know I agree. ^^^^
I don't understand why you are planning more tanks with more fish when you have fish in tanks not suitable for them. I know you keep saying your getting them a tank, but when? (oh no! I'm lecturing you again!)

Mumma.of.two said:
Fishie, you know I agree. ^^^^
I don't understand why you are planning more tanks with more fish when you have fish in tanks not suitable for them. I know you keep saying your getting them a tank, but when? (oh no! I'm lecturing you again!)

Lol I like your lectures they help meh! I hoping Friday since dollar per gallon sale. Went to one that didnt participate in it :( so have to go to one hour and 30 mins away.

severum mama said:
I have a feeling you might be talking about blue gene jack dempsey or electric blue jack dempsey. Blue gene dempsey is a tough fish, but EBJD stock you find is typically weak and won't make it to adult size. Either should be compatible with BP (single JD, NOT pairs), provided tank size is large enough, and I wouldn't keep either with yellow labs. I wouldn't keep BP with yellow labs either.

Yes I'm talking about blue gene jack Dempsey

So what is your current stock list(kind and how many)? Not the fish you are getting. And what sized tanks do you have? Not the ones your getting. I am confused what you actually have.

I'm also curious about the the previous questions... I am breeding EBJD'S and have quite a few blue gene's depending on where your located and what kind of conditions i'd be sending my precious fish to...

Mumma.of.two said:
So what is your current stock list(kind and how many)? Not the fish you are getting. And what sized tanks do you have? Not the ones your getting. I am confused what you actually have.

Also my profile is out of date. Right now I have a .5G, 55G, 29G and a 10G. In the 10G I have 43 fry. In 29G I have 2 blood parrots, had 2 electric yellow labs in 29G because level in my 55G were bad but having sit in 55G right now bagged and doing what you told me. Also I got a jack Dempsey and some platys .

Fishie,

I know you like all those fish, but please...please...do not put BPs with yellow labs. And do not put yellow labs with platies. And do not put JDs with either BPs, yellow labs, or platies. You just do not have a big enough tank and until you get enough room to house all those fish you want they will not do good in a 29 or 55 Gallon tank together.

All I would suggest is get a 55 G with the 2BPs and leave the platies in the 29G and call it a day.

Fishie said:
Also my profile is out of date. Right now I have a .5G, 55G, 29G and a 10G. In the 10G I have 43 fry. In 29G I have 2 blood parrots, had 2 electric yellow labs in 29G because level in my 55G were bad but having sit in 55G right now bagged and doing what you told me. Also I got a jack Dempsey and some platys .

10g is platy fry?
29g has 2 parrots, a JD, platys and 2 labs?
55g empty (please refresh my memory as to what I told you to do...)
Did I read that correctly?

bruinsbro1997 said:
Fishie,

I know you like all those fish, but please...please...do not put BPs with yellow labs. And do not put yellow labs with platies. And do not put JDs with either BPs, yellow labs, or platies. You just do not have a big enough tank and until you get enough room to house all those fish you want they will not do good in a 29 or 55 Gallon tank together.

All I would suggest is get a 55 G with the 2BPs and leave the platies in the 29G and call it a day.

Yes!!!^^^
You need to stop buying fish without thinking it through. I know you are trying and have been asking advise but you don't give all the info needed to give correct advise.

Mumma.of.two said:
10g is platy fry?
29g has 2 parrots, a JD, platys and 2 labs?
55g empty (please refresh my memory as to what I told you to do...)
Did I read that correctly?

Yes you got that right but about to but yellow labs in 55G

Ok so fish in cycling with the labs in the 55. got it!

I'm going to suggest (you won't like it) that you rehome the JD and the labs. They just won't work with your current set ups and fish.
Put the parrots in the 55 (they will need even bigger in the future) and the platys in the 29. Then once your all sorted and the fish are in proper sized tanks you can think about getting the labs OR JD.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Fishie,

Um I thought platies and blood parrots get along. I have a lot of hiding spots if that helps them any I might go to lps this Friday. What it I get 2 20G and seprate platys and jacks Dempsey?

Fishie said:
Um I thought platies and blood parrots get along. I have a lot of hiding spots if that helps them any I might go to lps this Friday. What it I get 2 20G and seprate platys and jacks Dempsey?

That won't work. The JD needs a bigger tank than a 20g. How many platys to you have? The BP are going to be too big for the 29 and the 55.

KonvictKeeper said:
Sorry for interrupting, but I found my BGJD at a LFS. I guess I was just lucky.

(not going to get one yet) but where did you get it name of store? Is it a chain store?

Back
Top Bottom