Which external canister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RabiedRooster

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I just bought a 318 litre tank. 38 inches cubed. It came with a Fluval 403 but apparently this is quite old. Have been looking into Fluval 405 and eheim 300 pro but I'm thinking these will be underated. This is my first experience with externals so have very little knowledge on them. Any advice would be appreciated. The tank is to be heavily planted and stocked. Thanks RR

My math says 237 gallons, not 318 liters. Are you sure it is 38x38x38"? If so you need at least a Fluval FX5.

You need a lot of filtration for that size tank and the cheapest way to do it to just get one FX5. I wish I had one on my 75. I would have if I didn't already have two 405s on hand.

I have a 405 on my 75gallon and the filter is amazing, its soooo quite. my topfin 10 makes more noise thats on my 10 gallon guppy tank. however for a 90gallon you may be better off with the FX5 but if you dont want to spend the money then I dont see why a 405 wouldnt work as long as you dont overstock it?

They are rated higher because they are made for ponds, where the ratings are even worse than in aquarium filters. To give you an idea, we used the 1,000 gallon sand filters on the 200 gallon systems at the fish shop.

You get what you pay for. FX5s are $209 shipped on amazon, that is a STEAL for what you are getting. If you are getting a higher rated canister for a pond for less than that you aren't getting much. And remember that almost no pond filters include a pump. So in addition to that filter you need to invest in a high quality pump too (easily $100 for a good one).

Back
Top Bottom