which nitrate test kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazycat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i've been using the tetra test kit, which has 3 vials of liquid reagent and one vial of zinc. but i've become increasingly frustrated because their color scale jumps from 12.5 to 25ppm, and it's really hard to pinpoint at what level the nitrate really is. does anyone have any recommendations on a test where i can more accurately gauge the results?

well, Aquarium Pharm. brand is the easiest to read 'cheap kit'. it goes 0ppm , 5ppm, 10, 20, 40, 80.

Otherwise, you're looking at $40 for a LaMotte or Hach brand Nitrogen test kit.

with aquarium pharm how close are the increments?

anyone familiar with the seachem test?

cool--but what are the increments? the tetratest one is easy too--it just jumps from 0 to 12.5 to 25--VERY big jumps...

And with the AP kit, if you can't distinguish the Reds, then its definately time for a water change. :D I know that when I first started in fish tanks I freaked because I couldn't get an accurate number on the chart because the reds were similar. But that's because our level was in the 80's or higher. You can definately get a more accurate number when the levels are where they should be.

It the water is red (with the ap test) my brother mixes it 50/50 with ro water and retests it. Then it is usually down in the 5-10 range where the color increment is wider spread.

Back
Top Bottom