White Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
I did a search on white cloudy water and read that it is an algea bloom due to possibly over feeding. I just wanted to make sure that that is true in my case-
Two nights ago we moved my bf's tank from his apt to the new house. We left the lights off all night for the fish to adjust. The water was slightly dirty from the move. (Gravel vac-ing most of it up, the rest sloshing around in the car). The water cleared up a good amount yesterday but was still slightly cloudy. This morning, however, it seemed to be significantly cloudier. Stephen fiddled with the filter and it looks like it might be clearing up some. (but this could be our imagination). Is there any reason for the cloudiness?
We don't overfeed our fish, there have never been any problems in the tank (ich, massive algea, etc), and the lights are on a normal amount of time. Oh, its a 29 gal with an angel fish, 2 kissing gouramis, one blue gourami and 3 snails. (all the fish are still small so its not over stocked or anything)

I can't give any water parameters because well, our test kits stink and the one I ordered hasn't come in yet.

White cloudy water is usually due to a bacterial bloom. Is the tank cycled? Is it possible that your benificial bacteria died? This indicates high ammonia and you should do some water changes.

We were worried about losing the good bacteria so I bagged up a few plants in the water. Also, we left about an inch of water above the gravel to keep it wet. Maybe that wasn't good enough?

Its just odd how it was foggy because of the move, it cleared up a bunch, then got progressivly worse.

I would definitely check ammonia and nitrite. I had a nitrite spike once from being overly aggressive with a gravel vac once, stirring up a great deal of stuff that I had left too long, and trouble presented itself as cloudy water.

Hmmm I don't remember.. I don't think we did.

The water had cleared up a great deal since my first post. I will go ahead and do a water change just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom