Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

White specks in tank

I have white specks floating in my tank, like dust particles, also fluffy white stuff on my anubias petite plant. The tank has sponge filter and I gravel clean 25 to 30 percent of the water every wednesday. Ammonia and nitrites 0. My betta is healthy. Does anyone know what this is and will it harm my fish? It looks awful, I would love to have a clear tank. Thank you for your help.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

White specks in tank

Following. Specks still there?

Old 03-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #3

Yes even after I remove some of the water with siphoning and adding the new water with prime conditioner and blackwater extract the specks are floating.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hmm, couple of questions:

Do the specks move?

Could it be just floating debris?

How long has tank been going? What is ph? Have specks always been there.

Could it be a bacterial cloud (fine, milky white water)?
Old 03-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #5

I have had the tank for 7 months now and noticed the white specks a couple of months after I got it. Sometimes the white stuff is stringy and looks like fluff on my plants. The ph is high, 7.5 but nitrates are 0 as is ammonia and nitrites. But my little guy my betta seems fine and active and a great appetite. I give him pellets and daphnia, and about once a month a green pea that he loves. Was thinking maybe the daphnia or the pea could cause this In the water. I am running another tank cycling, as am preparing for another betta, and it has no white stuff. I just dont want this white stuff to harm my fish as unsightly as it is and am tninking of moving him into the other tank once its cycled.
Has anyone had this in their tank? Also I get alot of green algae on tank walls. Maybe the Live plants?
Old 03-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #6

The white stuff just floats but doesnt move. It cant be dust because there is no dust around the tank area and the tank has a lid.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #7

Sounds like what i identified as hydra (not sure if it really is) when it was in my tank at one point. Mollys will eat them over time supposedly. That or they just went away on their own after i got the molly. Hydra is only harmful to freshly hatched fry. They usually come in on live plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #8

Thank you for the info! I feel better knowing it will not harm the fish. My anubias are not Doing so well so added Flourish. One is doing okay but the other is not. I may just remove The anubias and see what happens. Thanks so much!
Old 03-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcrazy99 View Post
Sounds like what i identified as hydra (not sure if it really is) when it was in my tank at one point. Mollys will eat them over time supposedly. That or they just went away on their own after i got the molly. Hydra is only harmful to freshly hatched fry. They usually come in on live plants.

If the particles are floating and there's no movement when the stuff on the plants are disturbed(tentacle retraction) then they aren't hydra, which also need a steady supply of small live foods to thrive and multiply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #10

Yes there is no movement so am not sure what this is they just float. I am thinking of moving my betta to the new tank once it's done cycling and see what happens in the new tank. Thank you!.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #11

Could it be anything that got into the tank? A pic would help. For instance i thought briefly there was something wrong with my tank and then i realized it was just shreds of paper towel from me wiping the glass during a water change

Old 03-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #12

I never thought it could be paper towel fragments as i use this also to clean the sides of the tank. i tried posting a picture but could not see the link to post. I will try again.

Tags
spec, tan, tank, white

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com