WILL HE EAT ALL OF MY FISH?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eastennessee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody! I'm wanting to put in a male beta fish in my tank but i'm afraid he might harm the other fish if not eating them first! i love betes and have had some in the past and have done well with them but he was by himself! i have, 1 fancy tail guppy 2 skunk corys 2 long fin blackskirt tetras 5 oto cats and 4 zebra danios pleace help me!!!!

Bettas (male bettas) LOVE to eat the fins off of any other long finned critter - especially guppies. Maybe you could find one of those hang on the side (but still in the tank) isolation tanks. I have 3 bettas in 3 of these and they're great. They're called BettaVisions. They're clear plastic and keep each betta separate so they can't fight each other. The only bad thing is that sometimes the pooh doesn't want to come out and you need to actually pour the betta into a bowl and blast the thing clean. :wink:

I would be afraid he might nip at the tails on the guppy and the tetras.

A male betta would not "eat" the other fish, but he will see the long-finned fish you have as threatening and go after them. It is not a good choice for that tank.

yup, I've heard it many times before - bettas especially love fancy guppy tails. Too bad, I'd have loved to introduce one to my tank.

juliemichelle, just curious - how big are those bettavision things? are they like breeder traps?

Those bettavison things I think are probably too small to keep a betta in long term. I've seen them used by the pet stores but that is only a temporary thing untill they sell the fish.

I've had my betta with neon tetras, glass catfish flounder, things without fancy flowing tails.

My bettas are fine in theirs. There are vents at the top of the water level and at the bottom so that there is circulation but not a strong current (which bettas hate). I have seen pictures of betta breeders breeding bettas (say that 5 times fast) in mason jars with no circulation whatsoever. Those betta hexes seem like torture to me. At least these keep bettas safe and a constant freshwater flow. I am all for humane treatment of animals and I belong to an animal rescue league and am a foster mom to an adorable "puppy mill" dog until he finds a home. I would never do anything to make a "poor fishie".

yes i understaind julie and i think that is great bout the puppy mill! but i think that that betta vision thing is just plain cruel! i know they like small places but come on! and i would like to stay on track about the betta not the beta container! :fadein:

Back
Top Bottom