will purigen kill my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wiggles24

Aquarium Advice Addict
I accidentally got a small amount of purigen in my actual tank. I tried grabbing it out with a net but that was pointless i noticed several fish going after it. Will this harm/kill them????

According to Seachem it is non toxic to fish, but thu recommend siphoning it if you can. Odds are your fish spat it back out anyway. Although fish tend to suck up whatever looks edible, they will readily regurgitate anything that's not tasty.

I figured they would spit it it but my baby keyholes ate it. One chewed it into several pieces then spit the other never spit and kept going for more. Lol Idk. They are both fine this morning though

No, it's not harmfull. Don't dose this if you have plants, it will absorb nitrogen (N) nutriments, and your plants will look like starving plants then will die.

No, it's not harmfull. Don't dose this if you have plants, it will absorb nitrogen (N) nutriments, and your plants will look like starving plants then will die.

Purgen is perfectly safe for use in planted tanks unless you use massive amounts. Purgen absorbs organics which contribute to nitrate levels but it will not cause nitrate levels to drop so low your plants will suffer. I use it in a lot of my planted tanks, especially my smaller tanks but have used it in my 220g off an on for a couple years. My nitrates run at about 10ppm in that tank with or without the use of Purgen.

Back
Top Bottom