YOu won't believe this, annorexic hillstreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have three Hillstream loaches. Two live on the glass. the third is my ExploraLoach who gets into the fray, eats everything and explores. He'll even take on my bristlenose

Now I find out from Loaches.com that the other two are doomed unless they also leave the glass and begin to fight for food.

someone help me tempt a couple of annorexic loaches.

Zagz.. when I do frozen bloodworms they don't last long enough for the loaches to find.. do you think it's worth putting in two hakari defrosted cubes, to tempt them?

I would say at this point it would be worth it. Also try putting them in just as your turn the lights off in the tank. You can watch with a flashlight not directly on them to see if they eat.

Do the other loaches have sunken bellies or something? I think doomed is an overstatement, especially since they may be eating at night and may be getting baby snails. I would just feed at night too. Maybe clip a veggie to a side of the tank.

I have kale there now... do you think hillstreams eat baby snails? I'd be surprised if they ate snail eggs, but I'd love it if they would :)

I think hillies are said to eat the small organisms that feed of algae, so would not be surprised if they ate snails in at least the very soft-shelled stage. Perhaps I should shut up because I could not keep my hillstream alive for a year, even in a high current river-tank, but can tell you that I see more ramshorns at that "shell parallel to the glass" stage than I did when Hillie was in there. HTH

sherry--

you can also get live blood worms (or frozen for that matter), stick them in a cup of tank water, suck some up in an eyedroppr-you know the kind you used to buy to dose medicine to babies--bright pink or blue rubber bulbs, big droppers--and squirt them directly near the loach, so they have a better chance of getting to them before the others do. i did that with some sick fish.

Back
Top Bottom