Zebra danio fry: how long to grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am asking this question hoping beyond hope that the answer provided by someone will help to relieve my fears that I have completely lost it.

About a month ago I added my first batch of fish to my tank: 8 zebra danios and 3 cory cats. Talking about that was my first-ever post here on AA, in fact. :D

That first night, one of the zebras died. I fished him out of the tank the next morning. About a week later, one of them died. Again, fish was removed from the tank.

Now, last time I checked, 8-2=6. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

So over the 3 weeks or so, I have been observing my tank lots. I mean, LOTS, because I had been dealing with some sick dwarf neon rainbowfish. Also a good friend who lives across the hall is in here all the time, so he watches as well. Both of us agree that there were definitely 6 zebra danios.

Well, about 3 or 4 days ago, he says to me, "John Paul, how many zebras are there? I swear I can count seven." After making fun of his math skills, I look at the water...sure enough, there are 7. Absolutely, positively 7.

Now here's the kicker--one of them is less than half the size of all the others. They were all roughly the same size when I got them at the lfs (maybe 3/4" or so). Most of mine are now twice that size...roughly 1.5." Except for one, who is no more than 3/4", probably closer to 1/2."

Is there any chance this guy was hatched in my tank? Could an egg hatch and grow to more than 1/2" in a month? (And do so without me ever seeing him swimming around the tank?)

Or am I going completely crazy...

The answer is yes JohnPaul. I just encountered the same thing with some pristella tetras. Although I didn't count them, while doing a wc I noticed 2 smaller ones about a third the size of my others. In another month they were all about the same size.

cool, thanks. Looks like I'm a dad! (Or...er...a grandpa. Or something.) :lol:

I got 3 zebra danios to cycle the tank with, and one of them was small, and hung around at the top for a couple hours not really moving and then died. About 3 weeks later I went and got another 3, because the first batch was all males, and Petsmart had a batch of females so I got 3 to give them a little variety with the color differences. One of them was very, very small, and I was worried that it would fair about as well as the other runt of the first "litter". Well a couple weeks later and today I was looking at the tank, and I could barely pick out which fish was the smaller one, it's grown like a weed.

Back
Top Bottom