Zebra Danio question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bunebop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. So I got 5 zebra danios yesterday and theyre in a tank w/ a betta and a buncha feeder guppies (I felt bad for em in the crowded tank and did not want them to be eaten) it's a 12-13 gallon hex tank. Not sure which. W/ a good filter and heater etc and bubbles since i know hex's are really good about suffocating fish. My question is if zebra danios have to be in groups. I got the 4 that the store had, but one is smaller than the other 4 and being chased around a picked on quite a bit by the others. I have a 50 gallon tank which is still doing a fishless cycle, so I cannot put them in there... but I also have an established 10 gallon w/ another betta, 2 cory cats and a bushy nosed pleco. Would you recommend separating the little danio into the 10 gallon until he grows up? Or should I just leave him? I think the 10 gallon is just about at it's limit of fish.. the 2-3" betta + 2 2.5" corys and about a 5" pleco. But I dunno what else to do till my 50 gallons ready. Thanks.

I keep a few danios and I have found that they do enjoy the company of their own kind. They don't exactly form a school like neon tetras but they are much more relaxed and adventurous in a group. I think the small one would do better staying with his own kind. They should calm down once the dominant ones establish themselves.

Alright thanks. I'm just gonna watch him really closely. I called a couple fish stores to get their opinions as well and that's also what they said. SO I'll leave em.

my smallest zebra was attacked by other 6 and had tail damages. it took him about one month to re-grow. he swims fast enough now to run away from danger.

I have a breeder net i could put on the inside of the tank to at least keep him separeted? Do you think that would be a good idea? or just let him be?

No, it's too late :( They seem to be getting along better now. I haven't noticed him being chased around as much... so hopefully he'll be fine and grow up and pick on the others back or something.

just keep them together. When your 50 gallon is done cycling, stick them in there with 4 or so more. they get along pretty well with each other and the ones that survive the first couple of months will live happily together for years.

I love zebra Danios. They are so cute the way the chase each other and play all day. Enjoy your new pets!

I dunno about the zebra danios going into the 50. I already know what I wanted to put in there. I am considering skipping getting the rasborras or tetras and just going for the danios. I'll have to see. Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom