Zebra danios acting like...cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quokka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I recently got a group of 10 zebra danios(8 normal, 2 leopard) to help cycle my 15 gallon tank.

Thankfully they are doing well and judging from the size of the females they might even spawn soon.

However...they seem to be doing TOO well...for lack of a better word, they are acting like mbuna! They chase each other, flare face to face, eat off the bottom of the tank, going inside caves....greeting me at the surface is just the start of it:ROFLMAO: They are schooling a bit more than they first did....at first they were all over the tank, staking out territories and chasing each other away!:eek:

I have kept zebra danios before...but at that time they only hung out as a loose school in the upper layers of the water column and never seemed to even touch the bottom. And now this! So different!

Does anyone else have similar experiences? Or did I just get an unusual bunch? If they keep this up they are going to rival my soon-to-get cories for food and that is not a good thing! :blink:

Similar experience with them. I once bought long fin blue Danios thinking that the flowing fins would slow them down. Nope. Still nippy, spastic, and aggressive. The “alpha” was a large female which occupied one half of a 20g long. The other 5 kept to their own space for the most part. If anyone crossed territories, then the chasing would ensue.

Back
Top Bottom