Free molly/platy fry in Seattle area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myriam

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have about a dozen fry, from what I believe to be a cross breed between my female black molly and one of my male red wag platies. The fry are all bright, deep orange, with black tails and fins.

They are yours for FREE! I can meet you somewhere in the greater Seattle area. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Hi Holly, I still have them all, unfortunately. No takers anywhere :( They are getting to a size where I think they will start wreaking havoc on my water parameters soon. Guppyman had suggested I...gulp...destroy them before they destroy my tank, and now I'm starting to wonder if I should... :cry:

Did they end up being a cross? And do you have any pics? I'm getting some new tanks for free, but they're busted and I have to repair them and get filter/light/heater, etc so I don't have any room for babies right now :(

One thing you might suggest if you really, really don't want to kill them is offering them up in the Nickel ads... I don't know if it would work, but you could try. There's cragslist too, but I'm not sure how much traffic that site gets either.

Otherwise, do you have some friends with predatory fish that might like to at least make a nutritious meal out of them? :|

I'm not 100% sure if they are crossbreeds or not. The orange fry came from my black molly. They sure look like platies, though! But somebody said she could have mated with one of the male orange platies, or she could have used sperm from a different molly from months ago. The black fry came from the black female molly, and so I'm assuming she mated with the black male molly.

I just posted on craigslist--totally forgot about using that resource, so thanks for the reminder!

Unfortunately my friends just have goldfish that aren't much bigger than my fry :-(

Holly, 25 Kudos to you! I just handed off most of my fry tonight, to a woman in Sammamish who contacted me via my posting on craigslist.com. I feel better that they've gone on to be her pets!

Thanks for the craigslist reminder :)

I do have 4 left. I guess if I look really closely I could probably determine their sex. Are you interested in just the fry? I am considering giving my 5 adult platies to someone with a good home for them, so I can do all mollies in my tank.

Sorry I didn't get back to you right away...just finished building my computer.

I don't have room for 5 adults and their subsequent offspring. I was hoping to have them of the same sex to prevent population explosions (as I wouldn't know if the angelfish could consume that many fry).

BTW- I would be raising the fry in a separate tank for a few months until they are too big for the angelfish to eat.

or I could take a few of the adults all of the same sex but I don't know if you want to break up your group.

Back
Top Bottom