caridina sp. (dark green) vs. caridina cf. babaulti

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Who all has had experience with both of these dwarf shrimp species? I'd like to know which is easier to breed and overall more prolific and hardy? I know babaulti's young grow extremely slow and the caridina sp. Shrimplets double size in just 1week.
Which one would be easier for a species only 10gal setup?

I don't want to let this question go unanswered. I can't help much, but I heard the green was a hardy strain of invert.

I've never kept either. The green remind my GF too much of bugs lol

Cichlid Kid said:
Who all has had experience with both of these dwarf shrimp species? I'd like to know which is easier to breed and overall more prolific and hardy? I know babaulti's young grow extremely slow and the caridina sp. Shrimplets double size in just 1week.
Which one would be easier for a species only 10gal setup?

I'd never heard of either, but my quick read opinion is , the Dark Green breed much easier and faster growth on the babies is a BIG plus. Also color sounds more stable on the Dark Green. But remember, these new Shrimp, they only photograph the best under the best lighting. The color may not be all that great in person.

I'd prefer to see some in person before I buy, but if you get some of either species please show them off and post your experience.

I've only got Amanos, CRS and RCS right now. Don't want cross breeding so no more Shrimp for me until I move. My CRS are getting their own tank as the RCS outbreed them.

Caridina Green?

i do not think such a species exist,

it is common for Caridina Balbuti to be sold as Green caridina, cause they come in green form, but also 3-4 different colors also.

Retailers can order specific "green shrimp" and they are usually green balbutis.

The OP wasn't shooting for the scientific name.

There are green Shrimp which breed true, I do not know the name.

I looked it up, the dark green caridina.

It has almost the exact body and head shape as the balbuti shrimp.

I've never seen that here nor have i ever seen it on my order list from the farms.

But I do know that certainly balbuti shrimp come in different colors, but i've mated green ones with green ones and the color is stable green on the babies too. And if you keep selectively breeding them for green, you eventually get a dark green coloration

To my knowledge caridina sp. dark green is a different species than caridina babaulti.

I would go with the dark green, I think they are more desirable for the obvious reasons, the darker green coloration and faster growth rate of offspring. I haven't kept them myself, but I have had a hard time getting my babaultis to breed.

i would love to get my hands on some and try to breed them.

i found balbuti breed in warmer water easier around 24C. and babies grow nicely in cooler water such as 20-21C. I once unplugged my tank and ripped out my plants and substrate left 2 inches of water for 2 weeks, all my balbuti babies grew nicely. I only saw them when i was draining the tank.

Yeah I would as well..some key differences are the babaultis are smaller, the babaulti babies are clear and the dark green babies are red, and the dark green females carry really cool neon green eggs. Also the dark green young supposedly grow very fast.

I think after more research I'm goin with the dark greens. Seems their color is more stable.
I also got more info on the babaulti, it seems their young go through a morphing like stage similar to ghost shrimp. Some breeders believe that after they're born they retreat into the substrate to develope further.

Hmm..I've never heard or read that. I was under the impression they hatched as fully formed shrimplets.

The dark green caridina do hatch as fully formed shrimp but the babaulti do not and they are much slower growing.

Back
Top Bottom