Finding my MTS? I need some ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have some MTS in my 5 gallon tank. I took all the plants, fish and decorations out. All I have left is the gravel and sand. I'm tearing down the tank to turn it into a pico reef. Anyway, I really don't want to toss out my mts. I love them! I took out 1 large one already. I probably have at least 8 real small ones- more if they bred and i just dont know about it. How do I find them so I can move them into my 55?

Bearchumjs said:
I have some MTS in my 5 gallon tank. I took all the plants, fish and decorations out. All I have left is the gravel and sand. I'm tearing down the tank to turn it into a pico reef. Anyway, I really don't want to toss out my mts. I love them! I took out 1 large one already. I probably have at least 8 real small ones- more if they bred and i just dont know about it. How do I find them so I can move them into my 55?

Well. I know their shells are durable. You can take a stone sifter or fork through the substrate.

An easier method to get 90% of them is throw an algae wafer in and pick them off it and around it.

You'll probably not get every last one. :/

I'll try the algae wafer first. I don't need to get em all but I'd like to get 3 or 4 more. Thanks for the ideas!

If you wanted to get more out, since you're probably going to be removing the substrate, just spread it out on an old towel or something and pick through it? Otherwise MABJ's idea sounds fine.

Sake said:
If you wanted to get more out, since you're probably going to be removing the substrate, just spread it out on an old towel or something and pick through it? Otherwise MABJ's idea sounds fine.

That's a good idea! They paid. No attention to the algae wafer. No snails when I checked this morning.

Many probably already ate their fill..

Aren't MTS nocturnal also? Lol.

The best time to check is about an hour after putting one in, I would assume.

I really like Sake's idea though.

I was looking in the tank just now and I saw one! It was pretty small. 1/4-1/2 inch maybe. I wi try spreading the substrate out after I plant my flowers in the back flower bed.

I heard they are nocturnal but I frequently see my large one (about an inch or more) out during the day.

So now I have 2 MTS in my 55.

Well 2 would be enough to restart your population those things reproduce like crazy lol. I know you said you had sand and gravel, did you ever think about sifting through it all with a strainer of some sort? Not sure about the size of your gravel that would be the only problem i see.

Sake said:
Well 2 would be enough to restart your population those things reproduce like crazy lol. I know you said you had sand and gravel, did you ever think about sifting through it all with a strainer of some sort? Not sure about the size of your gravel that would be the only problem i see.

Are they hermaphroditic? Cause I don't know if I have male or female. I could use a strainer. It would help eliminate the sand at least. Then I'd only have to look through the pebbles.

They are hermaphroditic. I think at least.. Lol.

They are livebearers. You'll never find an egg sac. Just little fellas out of the blue. So you could miss a lot of little ones.

Even hermaphroditic snails, like ramshorns, like to exchange genetic stock with another snail just so they don't have to strain their own genes.

They aren't cloning snails, is all I mean to say.

Yeah I tossed 1 in my 29 gallon and a month later I can count 9 out at a time. I'm positive there are more that's just the amount I can find at any given time lol.

4 is my total # found. I got tired of sorting through all the sand and rocks. Hopefully try will reproduce in the 55. It's a warmer water temp. I'll probably wish they wouldn't once I have hundreds of them. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom