Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwaterplaty

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys. I have a 26 g with 5 platy males. 1 silver Molly female. Yesterday I added 13 Priscilla tetras and 7 Amano shrimp. I'm going to check again this evening .. But this morning I couldn't find a single shrimp. Also the water was super cloudy. I did add an extra 5 lb bag of sand last night before putting the fish in. But I think the water has a bacteria bloom. I don't want to loose my fish. Anything I can do ?

I would dare say your cloudiness is from the new substrate. This could also be a diatom bloom if there were silicates in it.

13 tetras is A LOT of fish to add at one time. I would watch parameters closely.

Water changes will help clear the water up.

As for the shrimp, in community tanks they need a lot of hiding places or they will become food to fish.

Caleb

Hmm I wonder if my silver Molly or plates ate the shrimp. I have hiding places though. The same day I added the 13 tetras I took out(gave away)my 2 guppy fry & 2 plecos that were 3.5 inches each. and Right before I put in the sand I changed 25% of the water. Going to check my parameters later and look in my submarine hopefully the shrimp are all hiding. It was 20$/6 shrimp I rly hope they didn't die. Being totally honest though I felt like I didn't acclimate them for long enough. All the tetras seemed fine this morning though

Hmm I wonder if my silver Molly or plates ate the shrimp. I have hiding places though. The same day I added the 13 tetras I took out(gave away)my 2 guppy fry & 2 plecos that were 3.5 inches each. and Right before I put in the sand I changed 25% of the water. Going to check my parameters later and look in my submarine hopefully the shrimp are all hiding. It was 20$/6 shrimp I rly hope they didn't die. Being totally honest though I felt like I didn't acclimate them for long enough. All the tetras seemed fine this morning though

How long was the acclimation?

Caleb

I let the bag float in the tank for 10 mins. Then added some water into the bag left it for 10 mins then netted each one individually dropped them in. I watched it for about 20 mins after that saw them all swimming and grazing on my plants. But then this morning nothing. Not even a sign of a shrimp carcass lol it's weird. Maybe they take awhile to wake up and come out of their hiding spots. Or maybe all 7 got totally eaten. I'm anxious to finish work so I can go check again

Neat tank. I would dare say if they survived they are hiding. Inverts are quite sensitive to parameter changes. And that's a very short acclimation for them.

Caleb

Neat tank. I would dare say if they survived they are hiding. Inverts are quite sensitive to parameter changes. And that's a very short acclimation for them.

Caleb

Thanks. I'm thinking they prob all died then got eaten. Or the light startled them this morning and they all hid. I will find out later

Found them all in the filter eating happily. Put them back in tank. Counted at least 7 lol

Back
Top Bottom