How long do rcs remain saddled.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been looking online and can't get a definitive answer. How long do Rcs remain saddled. some of mine have been for almost 3 weeks.

Yes. Mine are thriving at 79. They tolerate a lot of temperatures.

Mine have been at 80 since I got them, breeding like crazy to. Nothing I can do to lower the temp, that's what I keep my house at. Actually without fish tanks I never run the ac lol.

Dont mean to thread jump your question but to answer, i think the males are much smaller and thinner and generally dont have the extreme red color of the females. They're amix of red and the brown of wilder strain rcs.

Cichlid Kid said:
Dont mean to thread jump your question but to answer, i think the males are much smaller and thinner and generally dont have the extreme red color of the females. They're amix of red and the brown of wilder strain rcs.

This is mostly correct.. Their color largely depends on your breeding and the kind you get. They are usually in some form less intense than the females, but there are some Painted Fire Red males that are a solid and beautiful red color.

hcourts said:
How do you tell the difference in shrimp??

The males have a straight underline and females are wider with a curved underline.

Females have saddles and eggs.

Males go insane when a mature female molts and is ready to breed. They zip around the tank and often grab the wrong shrimp by accident LOL.

Coursair said:
The males have a straight underline and females are wider with a curved underline.

Females have saddles and eggs.

Males go insane when a mature female molts and is ready to breed. They zip around the tank and often grab the wrong shrimp by accident LOL.

Excited little buggers lol.

jetajockey said:
This is kind of a dumb question but are there males in the tank?

I'm pretty sure they're some males I have one that is not red it just has a bit of brown and I have some that are only a little red. I started with 10 and now have 8 so I think the odds of my having some males are pretty high.

Back
Top Bottom