Invert tank cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HalfMoon B

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just had someone ask if they need NEEDED to cycle a tank if it was only going to house shrimp and snails. It caught me off-guard. But I told them yes they do, out of safety. But it did get me thinking about their question since only plant matter would be fed into the tank. Has anyone ever kept an invert only tank? Do you check your params?

100% yes it should be cycled. Unless someone was basically changing water every day.

Shrimp are scavengers. Although they eat algae and micro organisms all day, they like meaty foods too. They are a clean up crew.

Swings in parameters will/can kill them. Having a cycled, mature and stable tank is important for success.

Last edited:
Agreed. And that is what I told them. And then in the meantime, I bought a small tank for myself to make and invert only tank! Anyone know a good heater for under 10 gallons? So many of the 50w heaters are MASSIVE

Aqueon has small 10W & 5W. I have been using them for years, so far good results. I prefer the long o es which look like a mini heater over the flat ones. Over the years I have had one of the really mini flat ones die on me. I currently have appx 6 of the small heaters commonly used for Bettas smaller tanks. And a smalkml and large flat style and have passed many on to others with tanks sent to new homes. So lots! Lol.

78 would be a little high for neocardinia. I wonder how a temp comtroller would work with that...

Back
Top Bottom