Overdose Excel is safe for snails and shrimps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sf1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I need to use liquid carbon to get rid of algae.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is Excel at the recommended dose safe for Nerite Snail and Bamboo Shrimp?

2. 2x overdosing is safe?

Thanks

Standard dosing Excel doesn't harm snails or shrimp. Double dosing, personally, I have never tried. But I don't think it would do much harm if any.

But, if the algae is not all over everything, targeting the areas where it is can also work. Suck some into a syringe or baster, squirt a bit right on the clump of algae. Make sure no critters are close by where you aim it.

I've heard of this being done with hydrogen peroxide too.. squirting it right on algae covered areas. It quickly converts to hydrogen and oxygen, so it does not harm most animals, though at high strength it's a powerful oxidizer, which is what Excel and Bleach are as well. You can get hydrogen peroxide at various strengths, the drug store kind is usually 3%, and the kind used to bleach hair is 6%. Also called 10 volume and 20 volume. Food grade HP is also available at, I think it's 25 or 35%.. and that usually is at health food stores. Used to disinfect seeds and sprouted seeds. Can be diluted as needed.

Best to dilute a double dose of Excel in some water and then add to the tank, water and all. Excel lasts about 24 hours or less before it's gone.

I've spent a long time looking up excels effect on shrimp. Some report problems, some say its fine. I swear you'll find both answers all over the internet. I think if it's just cherries, which are very hardy, go for it. Something like TBs I would stay away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have CRS, Amano and a couple of Crystal. All have been fine on Excel even when I double dosed for a week to knock some BB algae on the head.

I think Excel overdosing is deadly for the Neritas Snails and Bamboo Shrimp.
For the neritas is for sure, I lost 6 of them like that...

I dose Excel heavily in several tanks and my snails/shrimp have always been fine.

I dose 5ml of metricide 14 into my 8 gallon daily and it hasn't affected my nerites at all. No shrimp in that tank at the moment so no input on that.

I have a different 8g that I dose 2.5ml a day with rcs and they are doing fine.

I duuno, when I stopped using Excel my Neritas are perfectly fine.

I have been using excel for close to a year now in both of my planted tanks. I dose 30ml of excel daily on my 55g planted tank and 10ml of excel daily on my 10g tank. That's a 6x and 10x dose respectively.

My neocardina heteropoda (wild type RCS) were breeding out of control in my 55g with an estimated 150+ until I ended up killing most of them with a supposedly shrimp safe medication. They are almost done repopulating the tank now though. In my 10g I keep ghost shrimp and nerite snails. The ghost shrimp are new additions but I bought the nerite snails just about a year ago. No problems at all related to the use of excel.

How do you start dosing Excel? Slowly?

I started with the standard dosing and just increased it a little more every week until the bba went away.

Back
Top Bottom