RCS and garden moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJudd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a very nice piece of common garden moss growing outside. I am tempted to try and see if a small piece will grow in my tank. I see that some mosses for sale are labelled 'shrimp safe'. Does this mean that some mosses are NOT safe for shrimp - I have a lot of RCS and would not like to harm them.
Does anyone have a view or experience of trying to grow a terrestrial moss under water. I have co2 injection and use excel daily as the tank is quite heavily planted and I already have a mass of Java Moss but wanted to try something new.

Terrestrial mosses can survive for awhile (even up to months) in a tank submerged, but eventually it will die off. Sometimes it can create a giant mess in the tank. I'd skip it and look at some of the more specialized aquatic mosses if you are going for that look.

The other issue with just bringing it in from outside is that mosses are really good at soaking up any pollution or contaminants along with water... if you put it in your tank you run the risk of causing issues, especially with hypersensitive critters like shrimp and other inverts.

Thanks for your reply. I did wonder if the moss would survive but hadn't though about pollutants. Cheers - I will give that idea a swerve.

There's one or maybe two terrestrial mosses that are sold, unfortunately, as being ok for tanks. They do live for awhile, but eventually die off, because they are terrestrial.

Fort384 is dead right though. With the possible exception of some wood, which whas to be aged and boiled first, I woudn't put anything from a yard into a tank.. heaven only knows what it's been exposed to over time.

True aquatic mosses are all shrimp safe. I've not ever heard of one that was not shrimp safe.. they are harmless plants and most shrimp like to graze on mosses.

Back
Top Bottom