RCS murder mystery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sedgy90

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys. I have a large planted tank. 4ft x 18inch

I have 5otto's
18 neon tetra
5 zebra danio's
1 Amano shrimp
1 zebra nerite snail

And I did have 9 rcs, now I have 2. I dont know what is killing them as the tank water is fine and from my past experience and research my other fish stock shoundnt prey on the rcs.
When they die there usually isnt a body so cant tell if they are dying then being eaten or just eaten. I found half a body once but it was still red so think it may be killed my other fish.

Any idea's Thanks guys.

Neon tetras will some people get away with having neon tetras and dwarf shrimp but when I got me neon tetras the day of getting them they had already ate two shrimp so I threw them in their own tank

The only fish considered totally safe with dwarf shrimp are Otos. All other fish are possible predators, though small fish will generally only go after baby shrimp, not adults.

Are you sure you have lost those shrimp though ? In a tank that size, a hundred shrimp could get lost and be hard to find. Nine would be near impossible to find much of the time.

Shrimp do die of various causes, such as infections, and other shrimp will eat them very quickly indeed if you don't find the body soon. Fish also eat them, as do snails. So bodies often vanish before you find them. But if the tank parameters are good, you should still have some shrimp in there. But they will be hiding much of the time from the fish, and be difficult to find.

The only fish considered totally safe with dwarf shrimp are Otos. All other fish are possible predators, though small fish will generally only go after baby shrimp, not adults.

Are you sure you have lost those shrimp though ? In a tank that size, a hundred shrimp could get lost and be hard to find. Nine would be near impossible to find much of the time.

Shrimp do die of various causes, such as infections, and other shrimp will eat them very quickly indeed if you don't find the body soon. Fish also eat them, as do snails. So bodies often vanish before you find them. But if the tank parameters are good, you should still have some shrimp in there. But they will be hiding much of the time from the fish, and be difficult to find.

Hi guys thanks for the reply.

Yeah there is deffinately some missing. When I did my w/c this week I did about 80% change, and had a good look for them and there was only 2.

Would you recommend scrapping the rcs idea and get some amano's?.

Hi guys thanks for the reply.

Yeah there is deffinately some missing. When I did my w/c this week I did about 80% change, and had a good look for them and there was only 2.

Would you recommend scrapping the rcs idea and get some amano's?.

I think the rcs died from something else. Neons shouldnt hurt then unless they are rabid lol

I would say make sure everything is doing good and then get a few red cherrys again (like 3) and see what happens and if it doesn't work then maybe try the amanos unless you like them better than cherrys but yeah it is kinda odd if the neons are killing them just because most people find that they never hurt there's I just was one along with very few other people which makes me sad considering neons are so cool
I used to have crystal shrimp and I know they die if you do to much of a water chance or to many and all and I don't know if cherrys are the same because of them being so hardy but if you did a 80% change before then that might of had the chance to do it

Nope they went missing so i did a massive wc so there was effectively less place to hide whilst i looked for them. But I do, do 50% wc weekly. That may be too much for them but as my tank is planted and there is alot of plant waste I need to do large wc's.

Im puzzled.

I do prefer rcs to amano shrimp but I dont want to put rcs in, just to die.

Nope they went missing so i did a massive wc so there was effectively less place to hide whilst i looked for them. But I do, do 50% wc weekly. That may be too much for them but as my tank is planted and there is alot of plant waste I need to do large wc's.

Im puzzled.

I do prefer rcs to amano shrimp but I dont want to put rcs in, just to die.

Planted tanks are good with fewer and smaller wc. If you have alot of plant waste then something is wrong with your plants. Also the shrimp will eat that stuff.

Planted tanks are good with fewer and smaller wc. If you have alot of plant waste then something is wrong with your plants. Also the shrimp will eat that stuff.

+1 your plants shouldn't be dying. That just pollutes your water more.

My plants arent dying, but I have alot of fast growing plants, and the hairgrass gets everywhere when you trim it, so its inevitable I will miss some when cleaning up.

Thegreenmachine advised me to do these water changes, as if the ammonia levels rise, then the plants essentially dissolve, and how Im doing it at the mo my peramaters are fine and stable.

I would love to know if im doing things wrong but cant suss it. Even if someone has a better method of cutting, and cleaning hairgrass?.

I set up a syphon tube, get someone to hold the end in your bucket to free both hands, then snip and Hoover the cuttings as you go. You can put your thumb over the end of the syphon tube between each cutting so you don't drain to much water, although I use this as part of my PWC. Hope that helps.

Awesome. Will give it a whirl.

Just been to the green machine and they recon, as my danio's are quite mature/big it is them doing the killing. They can get the taste for protien once they have done it once in hunger they will do it again.

Thanks guys.

I don't doubt danios might eat shrimp but they don't really have that large of a mouth. Generally, fish eat things that fit in their mouths, and most of the danios are surface feeders, rather than bottom feeders. Which is not to say they won't look for food on the bottom if they are hungry, but generally, they prefer to feed from the surface.

I've kept Snowball shrimp, the white form of cherry shrimp, quite successfully, in a 29G tank, heavily planted, lots of wood and rock, and lots of fish. Kuhli loaches, cories, Ghost shrimp, Snowballs, Blue Claw Whisker shrimp, Fan shrimp, Zebra danios, Kyathit danios. Yeah, it was overstocked, but I like it that way and don't mind doing extra maintenance to cope with it.

While the Ghost and Whisker shrimp certainly did eat some of the baby Snowballs, the fish pretty much ignored them. I imagine a few loaches snacked on a few baby shrimp too. And I did have one Zebra danio manage to get into a breeding net full of baby shrimp, but she wasn't in there long, before I caught her.

Then I then covered the net to keep the predators out. I thought I'd lost most of the baby Snowballs, but learned a month or so later that most survived and climbed out of the breeder net before I covered it up. They appeared once they grew a bit and from then on, I saw them all the time, swimming around, feeding, whatever shrimp do.

I did regular, fair size water changes, gravel vacs, etc., and the shrimp did not seem to mind. I had a thriving, growing colony of Snowballs in a few months time, despite all the potential predators, the filter intake that did not have a prefilter at the time and water changes, etc.

You may have had fish eat shrimp, or you may have lost some shrimp to stress or illness. Cherry shrimp can die for a variety of reasons, but typically they are pretty hardy little critters.

Amano shrimp, just so you'll know, are even harder to see than cherries, in a planted tank. They blend in, and while they are larger, if you only have a few, they can also seem to vanish and rarely be seen. If you add a good number of them though, it helps, as at least a few will be in view for you to watch. You can do the same with cherries too, add a fair number of them.

And within reason, the younger they are, the better they will adapt to new tank parameters. Adult shrimp don't travel as well, and are much more likely to die of stress changing tanks than baby shrimp are. If the shrimp you bought were adults, that might explain your losses right there.

What are you parameters at? Also when you do a large pwc, does your ph change at all

You mentioned fast plant growth... Are you dosing Co2? I've heard that shrimp and co2 don't mix well.

Just an idea. :)

Using injected c02. Im not so sure, I have seen hundreds of tanks with rcs and c02.

Thanks all.

I have a heavily planted tank and a colony of RCS. I use Co2 but keep it at a fairly low level (10-15 ppm). My shrimp are fine but I have been warned by a shrimp keeper that the shrimp will die before the fish if Co2 is too high. I don't know what constitutes 'too high' though. I slowly increased Co2 until plant growth was good and shrimp and fish remained happy.

Try the RCS in a plastic floating fry box, add some java moss and see how the do out of reach from you fish. I keep all berried females this way"when possible" and raise the youngsters until 3/8 of an inch this way. My box is like 7"x 3" and floats at the surface. This allows me to keep tabs on feeding, mortality, and such. To catch the mommies or transfer the detainees i use a 3/4" siphon tube... Works killer.
Just a thought

Temperature?

They do like it a little comfy, and what is the chance you are overfeeding, if so then try to cut back half of what you are feeding, then feed that half in morning and evening portions. That gives them more time to eat and less time for the food to get gross and pollute the tank. Otherwise try what you feed now in two portions.

Also try more frequent, pwc with 10-20%, if that is necessary. Shrimp do like old water (not toxic water), and don't like big changes to the water. So it would be safer to do 10% every other day, if required.

Otherwise maybe a filter upgrade is needed to keep water stable and a big supply of BB.

You can also add a second filter pad to your existing HOB filter with will double the BB in about a month, thus enabling you to do less large/frequent pwc. Also something I would recommend.

If clipping is necessary too much maybe just change plant types so you don't need to clip so often.

And maybe a RCS centered tank? More tanks are always better!!!

Hope you have success.

Otherwise maybe a filter upgrade is needed to keep water stable and a big supply of BB.

You can also add a second filter pad to your existing HOB filter with will double the BB in about a month, thus enabling you to do less large/frequent pwc. Also something I would recommend.

And maybe a RCS centered tank? More tanks are always better!!!

Hope you have success.

How would adding more media create more bb? Your bb balances out to the amount of waste present in your tank. Easier way to explain it is the waste is food. How do you expect to get more Bb without more food? This is why we can't add a bunch of fish at once...

Back
Top Bottom