Shrimp only tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have an ugly 5 gallon with a few RCS in it that I'm looking to redo this week and I have a few questions:
1) Can I use a vinegar water solution to clean out an old filter? (I have an ac-20 on there now and I want to replace is with a HOB that was on my dads reef tank cause the aqua clear is fairly old and not working so well) and will the vinegar hurt the shrimps I have left?
2) What are the correct water parameters? I know that shrimp are fairly temperamental about them.
3) What to feed / how much
4) Any extra knowledge I should know before spending some time and money making the tank look nice again.

Vinegar is fine, just give it a good rinsing afterwards.
Just keep a stable clean tank with low nitrates and temps from 72-76F.
RCS are hardier than most shrimp in this hobby.

Feed as much as they'll finish in an hour. In a well established tank with plants and biofilm, you can feed every other day.

okay that's what I thought I just wanted to make sure I do things right this time and don't end up with the mess I have now, what about pH? just leave it be? My house water is fairly hard

So I have an ugly 5 gallon with a few RCS in it that I'm looking to redo this week and I have a few questions:
1) Can I use a vinegar water solution to clean out an old filter? (I have an ac-20 on there now and I want to replace is with a HOB that was on my dads reef tank cause the aqua clear is fairly old and not working so well) and will the vinegar hurt the shrimps I have left?
2) What are the correct water parameters? I know that shrimp are fairly temperamental about them.
3) What to feed / how much
4) Any extra knowledge I should know before spending some time and money making the tank look nice again.

Vinegar should be fine just be certain that you get alk of the salt and such out of the filter. Water params
with rcs shouldnt be hard to make. Tap water (dechlorinated obviously) should be fine as long as calcium in the water (gh?) is high enough. Temp could be anything from 68-80 though in a rcs tank I might not even use a heater.
Feed them algae wafers, shrimp pellets, or fish food. Just dont let it sit in the tank for too long if the dont eat it all.
Enjoy your shrimp!

okay that's what I thought I just wanted to make sure I do things right this time and don't end up with the mess I have now, what about pH? just leave it be? My house water is fairly hard

Yep, just let the pH be unless your tap is killing whatever you put in there.
Sounds like you have calcium buildup since your looking to use vinegar.

It's soaking in hot water which is getting most of the dried hard algae off, and not too much calcium

Back
Top Bottom