Shrimp that won't interbreed with RCS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will probably be getting a 10 gallon in the next few months. It will be a shrimp tank. I know I want some RCS in it. I want another type of shrimp in there that won't interbreed with the RCS. I am looking at blackberry shrimp but I can't find a straight answer on whether they are cardina or neocardina. Anyone know? Does anyone have some cool ideas for some other shrimp in there?

Blackberry shrimp can refer to a few different species of shrimp - and some of them are caridina, and some are neocaridina. Where are you looking at them?

OH WOW! This is the first I'm hearing of Blackberry Shrimp! I've just looked at some pics and I'm floored at their incredible dark blue color...from those I just saw. I'm following along to find out if they're Caridinia or Neo's .. maybe I found a new candidate for my future 20gal Long.

BTW ... I'm reading posts on other forums when I googled Blackberry shrimp that Petco's in NYC at times sells them. Really? Petco? I know they're not all the exact same .. but every one I've been to in my area are practically the same in terms of shrimp stock .... Bamboo and Ghost shrimp. Has anyone seen these at Petco stores?

haha yeah it's been a long week for me too..........

What really makes it more:facepalm: is that thread was back from the 2nd of this month ... not even a full month ago. I must be getting old(er).
I Better make it an espresso.

Well, i asked severum mama and she said she honestly didn't know. She said she would be selling some tiger shrimp sometime in the future though that could go with RCS.

BTW ... I'm reading posts on other forums when I googled Blackberry shrimp that Petco's in NYC at times sells them. Really? Petco? I know they're not all the exact same .. but every one I've been to in my area are practically the same in terms of shrimp stock .... Bamboo and Ghost shrimp. Has anyone seen these at Petco stores?

I have not. The only shrimp i have seen at petco were amanos........

Nothing unusual about that... there are several caridina species that can breed in FW.

Actually guys, they almost look like blueberry shrimp to me. Blueberry shrimp are super confusing for me, some say they're an intense strain from blue pearl shrimp (Neocaridina zhangjiajiensis), others say that they're neither Neocaridina or Caridina, but palmata. Ive heard the Neocaridina version does NOT breed true and are dyed.

stormidae: blueberry shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda, palmata, or cf. zhangjiajiensis?)

If you want a nice blue shrimp that breeds TRUE, check out plantedtank.net. Speedie sells some blue velvet shrimp that are pretty new from Taiwan I believe.

Back
Top Bottom