Water hardness ppm to TDS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PianoShrimp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been keeping red cherry shrimp for a while, so I feel ready for some crystal red shrimp (my dream shrimp). I don't want to fiddle around with remineralization and RO/DI water, so I want to make sure that I can use my tap water or spring water. I know gH and kH are better indicators of water quality than TDS, but I want to know if I have the first requirement down.

I looked up my area's ppm water hardness (since water companies don't seem to use TDS) and it shows up as "hardness settings set to 6.6 to 10.8 GBG or 108 to 125 ppm". Does the 108 to 125 ppm mean 108 to 125 TDS?

I've been keeping red cherry shrimp for a while, so I feel ready for some crystal red shrimp (my dream shrimp). I don't want to fiddle around with remineralization and RO/DI water, so I want to make sure that I can use my tap water or spring water. I know gH and kH are better indicators of water quality than TDS, but I want to know if I have the first requirement down.

I looked up my area's ppm water hardness (since water companies don't seem to use TDS) and it shows up as "hardness settings set to 6.6 to 10.8 GBG or 108 to 125 ppm". Does the 108 to 125 ppm mean 108 to 125 TDS?

No its grains per gallon (GPG) also called english degrees clarke. Means calcium carbonates per imperial gallon. TDS is in parts per million which can also be called milligrams per litre.

The TDS is likely shown as conductivity.

The only thing you really need know is whether the water is hard of soft and you can see looking at the chart below that you have moderately hard water

IMG_3300.JPG

Back
Top Bottom