Weird worm killed Cray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Adult Cray had a 4-6" worm which ate his guts, some of his body and head in one night. Obviously it had been in there awhile, but what was this? It happened to a cray which came from a friend of mine and it was given to her and had been alive for around for about 10 months.

Anyone else had this happen?

No clue, did you hang on to the worm? Likely turns into something else and may be handy to know.

It retreated into the built-in filter area and and my friend was too freaked out to touch anything in there. So I have goat dewormer fenbendazole (same as dog med, but better solubility in water than capsules or tablets), so I was going to get the tanks size and calculate a dosage.

She said it swam like a snake. YIKES, lol. So far she said she hasn't seen it again. I will see her Wednesday to give her the medicine.

I raised the little guy, the Blue Cray from when he was a little 1/3" from a friend out of state, to give to her, my friend here in Colorado, but he was gonna be too small for the tank, so I kept him for about 6 months. Till he was about almost 2.5" or so.

After reading I found that they can get some kinds of tapeworm and round worms. So not sure but I told her if it comes out again to get a pic. I want to kill every thing in the tank, just in case there are any more. She has other Crayfish. Reds.

So I just don't know what else, other than learning how to deworm a cray.

Would really like to know what it was/is though (I think...)

I will ask her to see if she wants to let it grow up to ID it, but I doubt she will.

She has a couple RH snails in there, I have treated Hydra in the shrimp tank using a very mild dose, and it didn't hurt the shrimp or snails and killed the Hydra and on a different occasion the Planaria.

Should I do the mild invert safe treatment and then remove the snails and then do a full treatment? anyone have any thoughts on that?

Last edited:
It retreated into the built-in filter area and and my friend was too freaked out to touch anything in there. So I have goat dewormer fenbendazole (same as dog med, but better solubility in water than capsules or tablets), so I was going to get the tanks size and calculate a dosage.

She said it swam like a snake. YIKES, lol. So far she said she hasn't seen it again. I will see her Wednesday to give her the medicine.

I raised the little guy, the Blue Cray from when he was a little 1/3" from a friend out of state, to give to her, my friend here in Colorado, but he was gonna be too small for the tank, so I kept him for about 6 months. Till he was about almost 2.5" or so.

After reading I found that they can get some kinds of tapeworm and round worms. So not sure but I told her if it comes out again to get a pic. I want to kill every thing in the tank, just in case there are any more. She has other Crayfish. Reds.

So I just don't know what else, other than learning how to deworm a cray.

Would really like to know what it was/is though (I think...)

I will ask her to see if she wants to let it grow up to ID it, but I doubt she will.

She has a couple RH snails in there, I have treated Hydra in the shrimp tank using a very mild dose, and it didn't hurt the shrimp or snails and killed the Hydra and on a different occasion the Planaria.

Should I do the mild invert safe treatment and then remove the snails and then do a full treatment? anyone have any thoughts on that?

wow, sounds like a pain! Sorry to hear about the troubles, hopefully its a simple solution.

To the last part, I have heard about medications dosed in the tank being 'absorbed' by the silicone. Ive heard numerous stories on an other forum about people removing inverts, treating non-invert safe medications then placing inverts back in the tank only to have them die off because the chemicals leak back into the water column from the silicone. Just a thought to keep in mind just in case!

Hmmm maybe try setting up a quick quarantine tank and treating him in there?

That's a wild story.. I wouldn't be surprised if. Worms can live within the cray shell for some time before you actually see them..

Back
Top Bottom