25 gal Patio Pond and Koi Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ObscuraRex

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a patio pond about 25gal. We have 7 plants 4 are submersibles type grasses and the other three are the ones you can completely submerge and some bamboo it is illegal to sell floating invasive plants here any suggestions on how to get them or legal similar floating plants?
We also have 3 rosey minnows as tester fishes
We originally bought 1 goldfish and 4 minnows but one minnows and the goldfish died over night so we bought a heater and test strips. The water had a high alkaline and is now kept at around 80 82 degrees it's been about 5 days now and remaining fish are doing well so is it time to add koi?
We have noticed some algae growth on the plants and rocks and we want to eventually keep koi in there

Questions we have are , can we add plecoptera to the tank will they survive 70 to 82 degrees? Btw, we live in charleston sc so not freezing over night but does get to 40s or should we use snails to control algae growth? Do koi eat snails? And also, in 25 gal. How many koi is good?:ROFLMAO: And also, what is good levels of alkaline for koi? Last question anyone know anything about Japanese algae eater shrimp? Or good pond shrimp?

Thank you!!!!! :fish2:

Lets address your koi question. Do you know how big koi get? 25 gallons isnt enough for one koi!! You would need a pond of atleast hundred gallons to even own a single koi. You can probably manage with a single comet or single shubunkin but thats about it (with no other fish). A heater isnt necessary for goldfish-they are coldwater species of fish and it doesnt matter if its an aquarium or a pond (unless the pond is at risk of freezing over). I believe your fish death issues are the result of your pond not being cycled. You really need to consider getting an API fw master test kit so you can monitor your levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. Your 'pond' needs to cycle the same as any aquarium-please read up on 'fish-in cycling' so you understand the nitrogen cycle.

Sorry but that's just dumb and asking for disappointment putting a koi in 25 gallons. You could keep a baby koi in there for a couple months, and by baby, I mean under 4".

I strongly suggest you research before you kill anything.
Please.

Even a Comet goldfish or Shubunkin will grow too big for 25G after a year if properly fed and suitable water conditions. Stick with minnows and snails.

It frightens me to think you are just jumping head first into this without any knowledge.
Like jlk, get test kits for PH, GH & KH, Ammonia, Nitrate & Nitrites.
Anything out doors, use the kits meant for ponds, anything indoor, get aquarium test kits.
I don't even fully know what your intentions are with this.

With being such a small amount of water being exposed to the elements, the water temperature will drastically change compared to an actual pond. This will put stress on anything living in there, fish and plants alike.
This being the case, you need a chiller aswell as a heater.

Shrimp will not thrive with these varying temps, especially when the temp drops.
Crawfish would be a hardier option for out doors.

Since you said floating plants are illegal there, are you in Florida?
If so, you don't have to worry about winterization.

Research what the nitrogen cycle is before anything

25 gallons isn't a whole lot of room for much of anything. Instead of a pleco, a small high fin shark would be good. Koi don't eat snails. I have a 25 gallon on my patio, with water hyacinths, and guppies, a blue crayfish, and some snails. Pretty cool setup. They also don't need heaters. Try shibunkin goldfish. They're small, great in cold water, and look pretty cool. Yeah, koi need a much larger area to live in.

Sorry but that's just dumb and asking for disappointment putting a koi in 25 gallons. You could keep a baby koi in there for a couple months, and by baby, I mean under 4".

I strongly suggest you research before you kill anything.
Please.

Even a Comet goldfish or Shubunkin will grow too big for 25G after a year if properly fed and suitable water conditions. Stick with minnows and snails.

It frightens me to think you are just jumping head first into this without any knowledge.
Like jlk, get test kits for PH, GH & KH, Ammonia, Nitrate & Nitrites.
Anything out doors, use the kits meant for ponds, anything indoor, get aquarium test kits.
I don't even fully know what your intentions are with this.

With being such a small amount of water being exposed to the elements, the water temperature will drastically change compared to an actual pond. This will put stress on anything living in there, fish and plants alike.
This being the case, you need a chiller aswell as a heater.

Shrimp will not thrive with these varying temps, especially when the temp drops.
Crawfish would be a hardier option for out doors.

Since you said floating plants are illegal there, are you in Florida?
If so, you don't have to worry about winterization.

Research what the nitrogen cycle is before anything

Please drop the condescending tone.... they are researching.

Just so you know, none of your questions are dumb. Glad you asked. I always wanted koi. But apparently you have to have a sea world in your yard. smh.

Just so you know, none of your questions are dumb. Glad you asked. I always wanted koi. But apparently you have to have a sea world in your yard. smh.

I agree-there are no dumb questions except for the ones you dont ask! Sea world is a bit of an exaggeraton (lol) but you do need an adequate sized pond to home koi because they grow to be upwards of 36inches (3ft) in length & can live up to 50yrs! Very BIG (and expensive) fish!

Sorry, but they haven't returned so it's not very good researching..
Probably didn't like the answers and went elsewhere to ask the same question.

I've just had too much experience with people killing fish when the conditions are horrid, but they try and make it not sound bad..

Worked in a pond store in my teens..

Back
Top Bottom