55g how long can2-3 small koi be kept? Pond being dug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, I have two pond liners recently donated which I am installing I. The next 3-6 months. I live in California so it never freezes or rarely.

The empty tank I wanted to use is 55g, and I can supply multiple filters. If I choose koi, would more than one be able to live 6 months max in the tank? I vac weekly for my other tanks, all tropical.

If not ideal, and since the ponds are not going to be huge(not sure of capacity but 2-3" deep, a bit smaller than the footprint of a Mini Cooper for the big one and a kiddie pool for the small. Pump was included too!

And if I can't grow koi, which I understand, what are the most similar goldfish?

Thanks!!

Koi need ponds. You have acknowledged that but I have concerns about upwards of 6 months for multiple koi in a 55 gallon tank, especially a new tank that has not been cycled.

In a pond environment, plan for a minimum of 200 gallons per koi. You really need to know the capacity of the ponds you are planning before you buy the fish.

If you look to goldfish of similar body shape, then you are looking at commons, comets and/or shubunkins. Generally speaking, you should allow 50-75 gallons per fish for those goldfish. Stocking more might be possible if you have superior filtering of the pond, but what I most often see is a minimal filter set-up in a starter pond.

The smaller the pond, the more rapidly it heats up in the summer. The warmer the water, the less oxygen there is that's available to to the fish.

Please read up on pond construction so when you add your fish, you are giving them the best environment possible.

Back
Top Bottom