Color of Comet Babies?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pondblonde

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We installed our first pond a couple of months ago and have comets. To our surprise and delight, we also have 5 comet babies, ranging from 1"-2"!!! But they are greenish/brown. When do they turn into the orange color of adult comets?

Generally I think they are orange by that size if they are going to be orange fish as juveniles. I know that a lot of the color has to do with fish health/nutrition, but other than that I am not quite sure

In my experience, it varies. Probably has alot to do with the way the fish are bred before we get them. I've gotten babies for the last two years. All my babies start out brownish gold/green. Some of them turn orange in a short time but I have one that is just now turning orange and into his second year. This fish is at least 4" long. It's siblings all colored up early on last year.

Thanks for your replies. We were curious if there was an expected timeframe. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. Another fun aspect of ponding!

Back
Top Bottom