Gravel Depth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dodger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I ask people's opinions on the depth of gravel in a goldfish aquarium?

I have a Juwel Vision 180 and have just bought 10kg of new gravel. I haven't actually put it in yet, but it just doesn't look very much.

I think it will cover the bottom of the tank, but am wondering if I need another 5kg.

I'm sure I bought 10kg of the original gravel, which is 3-5mm size, the new gravel is slightly bigger, about 5-10mm.

One thing I am thinking, is it will be easier to keep the bottom of the tank clean if there is a thinner layer of gravel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always kept at least three inches of gravel depth in my tanks. It has worked well in distributing the weight of some really heavy rocks in the hardscape. I used to do thorough weekly gravel vacs. during WC's, believing it would keep the nitrates low.
Nearly six months ago, I took the advice of three different water management gurus on this forum, not to conduct gravel vacs, but to rely mostly on the benificial bacteria colonies that reside in the deep gravel bed. I upped the amount of water changed weekly from 30% to 50%. As a result, the water stays just as pristine as before. The substrate is more fertlie, the fish are very colorful & healthy, and it makes for a lot less work during WC's.
IMO, a thin layer of substrate will necessitate weekly gravel vacs. and offer less area for benificial bacteria to grow.

Thanks for reply, will take into consideration!

Back
Top Bottom