How to pick out the best goldfish at LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salukie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have any tips on how to pick the very best fish from a swarming tank full of orandas or moors at the LFS?

What should I look for? Any deformities or symptoms I should avoid? Any red flags?

I know the selection at the LFS is mostly rejects from breeders or mass produced crappy fish for fish stores but I can't find any breeders who ship to my area and I figured LFS fish is probably okay for a beginner. I'm not looking to enter my fishes into any competitions or anything. Lol.

I just want to avoid picking a sick fish or a very disabled one.

Thank you, everyone, for your wisdom!

You want to make sure there are no dead floating fish in the tank you choose your fish from, look for fish with white spots, fluffy white spots, torn or frayed fins, holes in the fish heads/wens....stay away from those tanks.

Or if you MUST have a fish from a tank with these symptoms the. Be prepared to treat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Orandas should have the wen only on the top of their head. The fins should be symmetrical and the body should be an even egg shape. Moors' eyes should be symmetrical in position and size. The caudal fins should also be even in width and length, and should form a butterfly shape. This should help find the overall best fish in the tank

Thanks for the replies.

The goldfish at my LFS look really young. The orandas have no wens and the moors still have normal eyes.
At what age do these features develop?

around 4 months is when orandas should develope wens, not sure on the moors' eyes though

When you view them from the side, if you can see the anal fins, that is less desirable. Ideally, the tail fins will be in the way, based on my research so far. The caudal peduncle being too long causes this issue. Also, you want a tall, broad, strong body. And the tail should be set so that it doesn't droop before the fins begin.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There's a store near me called boulevard gardens in central Virginia. They are a full service garden center that stocks koi and goldfish for ponds. They're the best place I've found for goldfish, maybe you have something similar? Past that I found that purchasing the super cheap goldies is better done the day after the shipment is received. Better selection, fewer problems.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom