KOI Pond Query on Shutdown/Timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanova

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 4 tier waterfall KOI lined pond with {2} 6" KOI and {6} 2" Comets in lower pond which is oval shaped 6 ft. X 5 ft. and 24" deep. I'm running the pump continually 24 - 7. I live in Pennsylvania. I feed the fish KOI pellets each morning. I mesh covered the pond to keep debris and predators out. I need someone to tell me how to close the pond for winter and when to stop feeding the fish? I only have a Savio filter skimmer in the lower pond where fish are. I guess I'mlooking to an expert here who can provide a step by step shutdown procedure with timing like when to stop feeding, etc. I just bought a K&H Thermo-Pond 30 pond heater. Thank you in advance for any help! I want to ensure the safety of the fish! :thanks:

What is the temp of your pond right now? What type of food are you feeding? Is the product you purchased an actual heater or just a de-icer?

JLK. the water temperature is now about 50 F. The food is API Pond Fish Food Pellets for all pond Fish. Wheat Flour is the main ingredient. The heater is a de-icer just to maintain a hole in the ice so gases can escape! It does not heat the water per se! Thank you much!

No more food until the temps warm up again in the spring. 50f is my cut off point but some people will stop feeding sooner (55f) or later (high 40's). This is very important as food is a bigger health threat than cold. Make sure you keep the pond free of leaves and debris. I actually turn my main filters/pump off once the temps drop below 40f and only run a circulation pump near the surface to keep a bit of surface movement (delays ice formation) but I know not everyone does this and some people run everything year round. A de-icer is a must once the pond temp gets close to the freezing mark. With a mild winter, a de-icer isn't even necessary but who knows what this winter will bring! :)

JLK, do I need any chemicals now? Spring? Are the pellets a good food? Some people say feeding is not required at all! Your thoughts? Can a fox or raccoon get to the fish? I had {2} 5" KOI disappear before I put the mesh cover on! Thanks again!

Chemicals for what reason? Unless you plan on doing a wc, no need for chemicals. Spring is another story but you don't have to worry about this for awhile!

I am not sure on API pellets (pellets are fine to feed though!) as I am not familiar with their ingredients. I feed a low protein wheat germ based food in the fall and the spring when the temps are cool and a high protein growth and color formula during the summer months. No food once the temps hit 50f and below (this means all winter) until the pond starts warm up again in the spring. You can tell a lot by the fish's behavior, too. Once the temps fall low, they are inactive or you do not see any fish at all. As they start to warm up again, fish will magically reappear and everyone starts to swim again.

Whether something may have caught your fish, I honestly don't know! Its certainly possible and I believe I mentioned before herons are a horrific problem here in PA. Raccoons are pretty devious too (as are cats) and won't hesitate to grab anything their paws can reach. :)

Back
Top Bottom