New to Ponds--Tons of Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello!
I have been keeping freshwater fish for a while now, so know a good deal about that. However, when it comes to ponds, I've never had one before and know absolutely nothing about them.

Basically, could someone provide some info or good websites to get me started? For now it's just an idea. There's a place in my backyard that could be used for a pond, so I just thought it would be cool. However, I have no idea where to start. As for fish, I was thinking of either Goldfish or RES Turtles, depending on the size of the pond. However, I still need to find out whether or not RES Turtles (Red Ear Sliders) can be kept in outdoor ponds.

Thank you for your time and help! :) I just need some info on ponds and what you do to keep one.

Hi! Ponds are fun. They're also a lot of work, depending, but fun. I think first you decide if you're going to dig/build it yourself, or have someone else ie a professional landscaper, etc do it. Even small ponds require a lot of digging. Same with deciding if you'll do the plumbing/electrical work. I'd suggest going to the library and looking at some pics of ponds you like and doing a little reading. We bought most of our equip online, a few things at the hardware store, and then went to a specialty store for the pump (it's heavy!) We have goldfish that grew ENORMOUSLY in ours, and koi. No turtles, though toads find us! You'll also need water plants for shade, oxygen, etc. My goal is to really work on mine, I slacked off this year.

Thank you. I suppose I'll have to think about whether digging or hiring would be a better choice. What would be an average price range?
Anyway, In the meantime, I will be doing a lot of research. Let me know if you have any more info, anything helps at this point!

Mandy ~ I dug my pond in a day. It is about 2.5 feet deep 4feet wide 4.5 feet long. I used a rubber liner the heaver the better . You will need an electrician to install at leist 3 double gang boxes (6 outlets) I have 1 Biological filter and lots of movement in the pond (2 recirculating pump/filters), 1 water fall. Once you get it going it is not a lot of work. Just enough to make it fun. IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

I'm getting ready to build my first pond on Monday. I suggest you research like heck before you start digging.
If you want plants, they need a good amount of sunshine. On the other hand, the more sunshine, the more likely you are to get algae. So you need plants that shade the surface.
Don't put it too near a tree, as all the leaves that fall in there will rot on the bottom. You can also put a net over it during the fall, to catch most of the leaves, if that's your only option for location.
Have the utility companies come and mark your underground lines before you dig. You don't want to hit a gas line half way through.
I'm having a company come in and dig mine. They're bringing a smaller backhoe, and it's $65 an hour. It should only take the hour to do it. ( I'm hoping).
The one thing I've read, over and over, is people always wish they went bigger. So, I'm planning on a 11 x 8, and 2.5 feet deep. That's about as big as my yard can handle, and my husband will allow, lol.

If you want Koi, they need a pretty deep pond, and as big as you can manage. I'm just going with goldfish. I want lots of plants, and koi love to eat them.

I don't have any idea about turtles, but I better be prepared. We have had turtles show up over the last year, so I'm sure they'll come visit.
Anyways, the more you research, the better idea you'll have of what you want/need. Google, google, google. :) And ask lots of questions.

Good luck, it's going to be fun!!!

Thank you! +1 for all the helpful tips. I plan to do a lot of research before getting into this. Thanks again!

Go as big as you can afford, do major research on filters (go big there too), and have a plan in place for what to do with the fish in the winter BEFORE it gets cold (assuming you live somewhere with cold winters). Dredging fish out of a freezing pond is miserable work. In my defense, I did not know there were fish in my pond at all, until I went to drain it for the winter...they all survived, but I nearly lost some toes....

Listen .... I say you go to a person who does ponds.... I have a 5000 gallon being built now.... And the filtration is top notch.... But it cost us about 30,000 green ones....if you have the right filtration then you don't have alot of work to do.... Don't put any rocks in the pond and be sure to get an underground drain.... This will collect all the waste from the fish.... Also, put kois.... Mind you the get huge..... I'm going to post my pics in weeks to come.....any ?, send me a message....

Hey guys, I'm going to take some measurements outside and see how big the pond could be. I have trees that would hang over... is that going to be a problem? Also, I don't think Koi are much of an option right now, as it can't really be that large. However, once I get the dimensions, and figure out how many gallons it could be, then I can start planning for livestock. I was thinking fancy Goldfish, as they don't get quite as big as the Koi can.

I have a pool, and near my pool is a great spot for a pond, but it's near enough that I am worried that water could be splashed there, and the pool water conains chlorine so I should avoid that area, correct? The only other spot in my yard suitable then is *partially* under some trees.

You can keep RES in a pond with a high(Ish) wall but I'm not sure with koi and goldfish

Back
Top Bottom