Outdoor pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corn_pea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We just purchased a 40 gallon outdoor pond thingy from home depot. We live in houston tx and we plan on putting it in the shade in our atrium. There would be 4 walls around it but the sun would periodically shine into it. Could I use just a normal sponge filter in it? Is there anything different I need to do to it than I would a normal aquarium?

40 gallons? I wouldn't put anything besides some rosy red minnows or mosquito fish in it unless you have a bigger one to move up to. If your water doesn't get to cold or you can put a heater in it - your options are greater. You COULD use a sponge filter, but they make "all in one" filters that provide you the ability to have a small fountain in the pond, and they're designed to be outdoors. With the sponge you'll be concealing the air pump and keeping it dry.

40 gallons? I wouldn't put anything besides some rosy red minnows or mosquito fish in it unless you have a bigger one to move up to. If your water doesn't get to cold or you can put a heater in it - your options are greater. You COULD use a sponge filter, but they make "all in one" filters that provide you the ability to have a small fountain in the pond, and they're designed to be outdoors. With the sponge you'll be concealing the air pump and keeping it dry.

I was thinking of those fish as well. Im helping to build it for my mom and she wants goldfish in it [emoji51] im tryna convince her otherwise. It gets kinda cold in the winter for a few days, but other than that it’s always hot here. here’s what it looks like IMG_0733.JPG

I think guppies will offer the greatest variety of color and choice. I believe they'll tolerate water as low as 50F but don't quote me on that. Either way 40 gallons is easy to heat if needed. There's definitely subtropical aquarium fish that will fit the bill.

I think guppies will offer the greatest variety of color and choice. I believe they'll tolerate water as low as 50F but don't quote me on that. Either way 40 gallons is easy to heat if needed. There's definitely subtropical aquarium fish that will fit the bill.

Guppies sounds cute! I always have extra heaters lying around so I think imma do guppies [emoji18] thank you

We just purchased a 40 gallon outdoor pond thingy from home depot. We live in houston tx and we plan on putting it in the shade in our atrium. There would be 4 walls around it but the sun would periodically shine into it. Could I use just a normal sponge filter in it? Is there anything different I need to do to it than I would a normal aquarium?
Hello, I would be worried about how hot it gets in Houston. 40gal is not a lot of water & temps would fluctuate greatly even w/heater.
I'm not trying to be the fish police just giving you a heads up. Maybe consider a fully shaded area or even inside if you have room. Hopefully this helps you!!!!!

Hello, I would be worried about how hot it gets in Houston. 40gal is not a lot of water & temps would fluctuate greatly even w/heater.
I'm not trying to be the fish police just giving you a heads up. Maybe consider a fully shaded area or even inside if you have room. Hopefully this helps you!!!!!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, this pond would be in my atrium, which is still outside but there are walls on all 4 sides of the pond, therefore it’s very shaded! I will definitely add more shade above it since the top of the atrium is open

Depending upon how much room you have (or a place to hide it, under or behind plants, etc) you could make a 55G trash can filter. A DIY wood covering or something would also work, adding an extra 50G to the system.

It more or less is a giant filter. With lots of media to maximize BB area and multiply the water volume. Water is pumped into "can" (I used a plastic one) and then flows out when it gets to a certain height, pouring back into the pond.

Can she get a little bit bigger Pond / exchange it?

Guppies and Endlers are great! You might need to consider a hungry pond companion (to keep the baby numbers in check) or nice LFS to take them to later when the population goes up too much.

Back
Top Bottom